Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

outlaw engineering IM/TB gasket kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw engineering IM/TB gasket kit

I have been looking into purchasing this kit as i have heard great reviews on it.... just have a question about the TB spacer/gasket....

I have the Skunk2 billet 70mm throttle body for my B18c1 and I was wondering if the spacer/gasket that they offer will work properly with my throttle body... As far as the IM goes i have the Skunk2 Pro-series black series (and yes for those of you wondering, the black billet with the black IM is baller as **** looking!! hahaha ) I dont for-see any problems with the IM spacer/gasket with that manifold so most of my concern is with the TB. The outlaw kit looks like real quality stuff! so i really want to get my hands on it before honda day at E-town if there are no problems running on my current intake set-up.

Thanks for info/experiences

EDIT: while I have the thread up might as well ask(for those of you using this kit) how well was the gaskets port matched to the head? Any modifications needed as far as opening up the gasket ports?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: outlaw engineering IM/TB gasket kit

i can tell you thins you didnt measure anything.

and if your looking for a baller as **** motor this is the wrong area of the forum.

also a throttle body spacer doesnt add power
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MugenSpeclNY
I have been looking into purchasing this kit as i have heard great reviews on it.... just have a question about the TB spacer/gasket....

I have the Skunk2 billet 70mm throttle body for my B18c1 and I was wondering if the spacer/gasket that they offer will work properly with my throttle body... As far as the IM goes i have the Skunk2 Pro-series black series (and yes for those of you wondering, the black billet with the black IM is baller as **** looking!! hahaha ) I dont for-see any problems with the IM spacer/gasket with that manifold so most of my concern is with the TB. The outlaw kit looks like real quality stuff! so i really want to get my hands on it before honda day at E-town if there are no problems running on my current intake set-up.

Thanks for info/experiences

EDIT: while I have the thread up might as well ask(for those of you using this kit) how well was the gaskets port matched to the head? Any modifications needed as far as opening up the gasket ports?
I have the outlaw engineering kit on a Pro-sEries IM. The composite material is malleable enough to change the ports, but its not at all necessary on the intake manifold side. It comes with the extended hardware to work with a Skunk2 manifold onto the head.

You can e-mail and specifically order the 70mm spacer if you don't want to take the 68mm and port yourself (its a little messy).

The one thing about it is that depending upon whether or not the bolts that are used from you TB are the type that are recessed into the TB. If they are, you may have to find substitutes, as the ones that come with the kit are not made for recessed bolt-down points, and the ones that come with the skunk are just a little too short.

Here's mine with an Alpha 70mm on the Outlaw Engineering kit

I'm sorry I don't have any more photos of it fitting against the intake manifold at the head. But there was no need to port anything at all.

Its a nice system, as it does make intake temps a little cooler (Not a "power maker", but it works in other ways that are just as beneficial.)
Old 07-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigpunn421
i can tell you thins you didnt measure anything.

and if your looking for a baller as **** motor this is the wrong area of the forum.

also a throttle body spacer doesnt add power
Lol dude ur shot as **** I'm well aware this isn't a power adder but it is a nice kit, that could prove helpful regrading intake temps and it's time to replace my Intake mani gasket(ripped&leaking) so I always upgrade and not replace was looking at the hondata gasket and stumbled onto the team-integra thread comparing outlaw kit to hondata gasket... Keep it moving, thanks

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I have the outlaw engineering kit on a Pro-sEries IM. The composite material is malleable enough to change the ports, but its not at all necessary on the intake manifold side. It comes with the extended hardware to work with a Skunk2 manifold onto the head.

You can e-mail and specifically order the 70mm spacer if you don't want to take the 68mm and port yourself (its a little messy).

The one thing about it is that depending upon whether or not the bolts that are used from you TB are the type that are recessed into the TB. If they are, you may have to find substitutes, as the ones that come with the kit are not made for recessed bolt-down points, and the ones that come with the skunk are just a little too short.

Here's mine with an Alpha 70mm on the Outlaw Engineering kit

I'm sorry I don't have any more photos of it fitting against the intake manifold at the head. But there was no need to port anything at all.

Its a nice system, as it does make intake temps a little cooler (Not a "power maker", but it works in other ways that are just as beneficial.)
Thank you shodan for the response, I was tempted to PM you regrading this because I saw you ran this kit in an old thread but with the alpha TB, but held off for that reason b/c wasnt the billet. the port matching to the head I wasn't worried about just figured if ask about it since I made the thread already. But thank you for clearing up that the ports are matched properly to a stock head

My main concern was because it's the billet pro series throttle body, and unsure if there TB gasket is compatable, because I was looking at skunk2 website regrading their thermal TB gasket and it says "not to be used with pro-series throttle bodies" so that's where my concern was stemming from... I wasn't too sure why it's not compatable I'm guessing the relocated map sensor? Only thing I can think of off hand but not 100% not to sure to be honest.

So just seeing if the TB gasket/spacer will work properly with the billet throttle body was my main concern.

Thanks again shodan for the pics and the information given
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it should work, im going to order it once they return my email regrading getting the TB gasket/spacer in 70mm.

thanks shodan for your response.

Last edited by MugenSpeclNY; 08-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM

No problem.. I really like what Outlaw Engineering does. Good people, good service, nice product and hardware. Not for the budget cheapo person.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem.. I really like what Outlaw Engineering does. Good people, good service, nice product and hardware. Not for the budget cheapo person.
Just received my order everything is on point!! Even got the TB spacers/gasket in 70mm.

Everything looks great! Super high quality! Perfect fitment on IACV/head/TB. Couldnt ask for more very very pleased.... i recommend this kit to anyone else that is on the fence!

only thing i have to do it port match my intake mani, the spacer/gasket lines up perfect with the head but the skunk2 proseries is a little off on each runner on the left side(just have to open em up a little bit, 15-30min job) if looking at the side where it mounts to head and coolant port is on the left.

Again overall very pleased!!!

Will post pics of the kit if anyone is interested
Old 08-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Nice stuff, isn't it?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I purchased and tested these a few months back on my car. The quality of everything is very nice as stated. I also noticed a fairly substantial drop in manifold temperature and IAT.
(Left picture is throttle body gasket only installed, Right picture is full kit installed, Both after the exact same 45 minute drive.)

Sounds like a great product for the money right? I couldn't have been more happy after seeing the difference in temperature, So i headed back to the dyno to see if there was any noticeable improvements there.
(I was on the dyno and fully tuned the car 2 days prior to install)

The results were a 5-7hp loss throughout the entire powerband an noticeably bad gas mileage. I was sure this was a fluke and did everything i could to get the power back on the dyno, but it just wasn't happening. I was also lost as to the now terrible gas mileage when on the dyno the wideband was reading completely normal.

I pulled my hair out all night and talked to an experianced tuner / engine builder that i really trust, and decided i would take the kit all back off and head back to the dyno the following day. The results, I had the 5-7hp back.

Why? Injector placement. When you measure these gaskets out they are damn near 3/8 of an inch thick. Which means the injector will also be spaced back 3/8 of an inch and now spraying at the floor of the head. Which for me translated to lost power, and horrible gas mileage.

This is just my experiance and .02

Last edited by 01DC4; 08-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01DC4
I purchased and tested these a few months back on my car. The quality of every is very nice as stated. I also noticed a fairly substantial drop in manifold temperature and IAT.
(Left picture is throttle body gasket only installed, Right picture is full kit installed, Both after the exact same 45 minute drive.)

Sounds like a great product for the money right? I couldn't have been more happy after seeing the difference in temperature, So i headed back to the dyno to see if there was any noticeable improvements there.
(I was on the dyno and fully tuned the car 2 days prior to install)

The results were a 5-7hp loss throughout the entire powerband an noticeably bad gas mileage. I was sure this was a fluke and did everything i could to get the power back on the dyno, but it just wasn't happening. I was also lost as to the now terrible gas mileage when on the dyno the wideband was reading completely normal.

I pulled my hair out all night and talked to an experianced tuner / engine builder that i really trust, and decided i would take the kit all back off and head back to the dyno the following day. The results, I had the 5-7hp back.

Why? Injector placement. When you measure these gaskets out they are damn near 3/8 of an inch thick. Which means the injector will also be spaced back 3/8 of an inch and now spraying at the floor of the head. Which for me translated to lost power, and horrible gas mileage.

This is just my experiance and .02
Interesting.... Didn't really think of that
Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Interesting.... Didn't really think of that
Very. But I'm not too worried as I'm using a mototron long injector in the NA car, and a 5-7whp loss in the turbo car isn't that significant enough to me when IATs are a bit more of a priority in which I'd lose significantly more power if IATs aren't down.

But that is an interesting observation. Hadn't thought of that. So that may mean an extra o-ring or so to make up for that spacing.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Very. But I'm not too worried as I'm using a mototron long injector in the NA car, and a 5-7whp loss in the turbo car isn't that significant enough to me when IATs are a bit more of a priority in which I'd lose significantly more power if IATs aren't down.

But that is an interesting observation. Hadn't thought of that. So that may mean an extra o-ring or so to make up for that spacing.
interesting info 01DC4

shodan, the extra o-ring wont solve the problem, you would have to change the injector angle. your fine with your application but us all motor guys never have it easy lol
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an insane power loss for injector placement! I was going to pick up this kit until I saw that! Maybe I'll stick with the Hondata thinner one and call it a day.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by CR1 Motorsports
interesting info 01DC4

shodan, the extra o-ring wont solve the problem, you would have to change the injector angle. your fine with your application but us all motor guys never have it easy lol
Perhaps. Even with the All-motor civic, I'll stick with it. Road racing doesn't look at last few hundred rpms in 4th gear anyway. I still like it better than the Hondata Gaskets that tend to warp.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said the loss was over the whole curve though. Even up top in the all motor world we sometimes spend thousands of dollars to gain 5-7WHP.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
He said the loss was over the whole curve though. Even up top in the all motor world we sometimes spend thousands of dollars to gain 5-7WHP.
I see. I'm not noticing it anywhere, so if that's the case, I'll see if I can make up for it elsewhere. That's a lot of dough for just a couple of ponies. Perhaps my expectations just don't warrant being high enough to switch it out for the cooling benefits I need on the circuit.. Or I'm just that weird

Last edited by TheShodan; 08-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Correct it was a consistent 5-7hp loss from the start of the pull at 3500rpm all the way to 8500rpm.

However as pictured it did provide a quite noticeable temperature decrease so they in fact did do there job in that aspect.

Which one is more important? That is up to you guys to decide
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 01DC4
Correct it was a consistent 5-7hp loss from the start of the pull at 3500rpm all the way to 8500rpm.

However as pictured it did provide a quite noticeable temperature decrease so they in fact did do there job in that aspect.

Which one is more important? That is up to you guys to decide
Well I appreciate the fact that u did post the pics of the temp difference instead of just stating the power loss to give a more well rounded response and prove that the product does what is advertised but could fall short of the power aspect. If only u had the back to back dyno graphs too. :p
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Well I appreciate the fact that u did post the pics of the temp difference instead of just stating the power loss to give a more well rounded response and prove that the product does what is advertised but could fall short of the power aspect. If only u had the back to back dyno graphs too. :p
Yes, please do not think that I am ungrateful in anyway for that information. It is nice to see that, and have a root cause of the issue, As it is relevant to most here; just not me .
Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM

Yes, please do not think that I am ungrateful in anyway for that information. It is nice to see that, and have a root cause of the issue, As it is relevant to most here; just not me .
Any technical input is good to hear, not everyone will have the same results
Old 08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How thick is that outlaw gasket your using?

The Hondata ones are about 1/8" thick and probably a little less when compressed..

This is def an interesting discovery.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
How thick is that outlaw gasket your using?

The Hondata ones are about 1/8" thick and probably a little less when compressed..

This is def an interesting discovery.
I have not person measured mine, but 01dc4 stated that he measured "nearly" 3/8 of an inch
Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3/8th is quite alot..

I can personally tell ou that mine is no where close to 3/8ths.

More like 1/8th
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
3/8th is quite alot..

I can personally tell ou that mine is no where close to 3/8ths.

More like 1/8th
Ill measure mine when I get back to NY after Honda day(yes it's ******* awesome) and ill let you know

Quick Reply: outlaw engineering IM/TB gasket kit