Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Alternator is making loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator is making loud noise

I thought it was my belts that were making a loud whining noise while I am driving but now I have figured out that the noise is coming from the alternator. The alternator is still working and there are no problems with it yet.

Does this mean that my alternator is about to die soon? Should I replace it now before it is too late?
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator is making loud noise (Integrity 19)

yea word...i got the same problem...whats your mileage?

bump for an answer
Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Alternator is making loud noise (yehiknowrite)

My car has 130,000 miles on it
I don't know if it is the original alternator or not.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Any alternator experts out there?
Old 02-18-2005, 09:07 AM

I just ran into the same problem on my '95 GSR I picked up. It was making a screetching noise so I pulled of the alternator belt to make sure it was the alternator. Sure enough, that's what it was. You can do this (it's ok to just leave the belt hanging from the crankpulley, it just swings around) to make damn sure it is your alternator.

I chose to replace the bearings in my current alternator. The cheapest I could find a remanufactured one was at Autozone for $205. Instead I have some time so I was able to get 2 new bearings from Acura for $45. The bearings in there are Acura-only from every bearing place I've called so you have to get them from Acura. I had to wait 4 days to get mine because many places are out of these bearings. If you are mechanically inclined you can try doing this too. I'm putting my alternator back together tonight and I can take some pics of reassembling my alternator. I've never done this before but it's not really brain surgery, you just need a press to press in and out the 2 bearings.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Alternator is making loud noise (Honda Hick)

Yeah I think I have the same problem as you do in regards to the bearings.
Let me know how the install goes for you and maybe I will also purchase new bearings and attempt to fix it myself.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya, I have the same problem on my GSR. I have about 123k miles on it, and i hear a whining sound from the right side of the motor on really cold days. Im assuming its the same problem you guys have too. Kinda sounds like a whining supercharger, and it only happens on really cold start days when the motor is running anywhere between 2000-3000rpms. I guess i will need to be replacing the alternator bearings?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator is making loud noise (Honda Hick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just ran into the same problem on my '95 GSR I picked up. It was making a screetching noise so I pulled of the alternator belt to make sure it was the alternator. Sure enough, that's what it was. You can do this (it's ok to just leave the belt hanging from the crankpulley, it just swings around) to make damn sure it is your alternator.

I chose to replace the bearings in my current alternator. The cheapest I could find a remanufactured one was at Autozone for $205. Instead I have some time so I was able to get 2 new bearings from Acura for $45. The bearings in there are Acura-only from every bearing place I've called so you have to get them from Acura. I had to wait 4 days to get mine because many places are out of these bearings. If you are mechanically inclined you can try doing this too. I'm putting my alternator back together tonight and I can take some pics of reassembling my alternator. I've never done this before but it's not really brain surgery, you just need a press to press in and out the 2 bearings.</TD></TR></TABLE>
can u make some pics when u do it?
Old 02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy to do. All i did was take apart the alternator housing took the part that had the bearing to a store that sells bearings they sold me and installed the new bearing for like $7 bucks.