Wheel and Tire

can slime be used in low profile tires to prevent flats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can slime be used in low profile tires to prevent flats?

I just got a flat on my mountain bike over the weekend, and did a little investigation and found out that alot of people use GREEN SLIME in their bicycle tire to prevent future flats. It seem to work great in the mountain bike.

My Question is, can this also be used in my car tires to prevent flats? I have low profile tires though. I am putting on two new tires on my rims tomorrow. I have 215/45/17 on my car.

I know lots of people say that the Fix-A-Flat can corrode the rim and weaken its structure, so i should not use that in my car rims, but can the green slime stuff be used in it?

Has anyone ever tried this in their car?

One possible concern could be that it could cause imbalance in the tire as it spins while the car drives. what do you think of this concern?

thanks for your help and suggestions.
Roops
Old 05-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of it done before, and I doubt you are the first to think of the idea. They dont sell the big of containers either, can you imagine how much it would take to fill that tire? And you've got quite a larger load on the tire compared to a bike.

Btw, the reason a lot of serious bikers dont use it either is because weight kills, and that stuff adds a few pounds to a bike. If you're competitive and have a 20-25lb bike, you dont want to add all that weight. Instead you keep a few spare innertubes in your pack and when you replace them enough you can do it in a matter of minutes.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two reasons i wouldn't think to use it:
- does it spread perfectly evenly? otherwise you're going to have balancing issues. not an issue on a back, which rarely sees speeds over 25mph.
- the weight on a car tire is far greater than that on a bike tire. would the slime be able to function properly?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus that stuff is an extreme hazard to tire shops and what not. DO NOT USE IT