Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft?

Old 10-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft?

I'm never messed with an automatic vehicle before. . . I need to take the torque convertor and flex plate off and transfer them onto a replacement engine.

I've got the auto tranny fully separated from the block. I don't see any big bolts where I know they have to be (in the middle, attached to the crankshaft). I assume once the torque convertor's off, they'll be revealed. It looks like I might be able to get to the heads of the bolts that are on the BACK of the flexplate (i.e., the side facing the engine block) with a box end wrench, maybe 12 mm? One at a time by rotating the crank?

Is this what I'm supposed to do? Is still MORE tranny fluid going to leak onto my garage floor when it comes apart?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft? (EGbeater)

Oh lord, you really need a Helms.

The plate attached to the crank is called the flex plate. You must remove a few bolts on the DRIVERS side of the flex plate (those 12mm you're talking about) to detach the TC (torque converter). You should've done this BEFORE you dropped the transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!! The TC + tranny are to be removed as one unit! Too late for that now though...

Install the tranny and TC as one unit. Insert the TC into the transmission and rotate it CCW (same direction as motor spins) while pushing on it firmly, you want to make SURE it locks back into its splines on the input shaft or it'll **** fluid all over and generally ruin your day. Repeat: BE SURE THE TC IS FULLY ENGUAGED UPON THE INPUT SHAFT SPLINE.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft? (GimpyAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GimpyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh lord, you really need a Helms.

The plate attached to the crank is called the flex plate. You must remove a few bolts on the DRIVERS side of the flex plate (those 12mm you're talking about) to detach the TC (torque converter). You should've done this BEFORE you dropped the transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!! The TC + tranny are to be removed as one unit! Too late for that now though...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah yes, that makes more sense. I have a Chilton's, and I did look at it, but it didn't say boo about the proper way to remove a automatic (although it's got step by step instructions and lots of pictures for changing out a clutch).

So for future reference, before dropping the engine, remove the sheet metal clutch cover from under the engine/tranny, then remove all the flex plate bolts first, correct?

When I reinstall the TC to the tranny input shaft, is there any special alignment that needs to be observed? Or are the splines uniform, just like the middle of a clutch disc?

Thanks for the help . . .
Old 10-27-2005, 06:26 AM

Helms &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Chilton
Old 10-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft? (violence_hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by violence_hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Helms &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Chilton</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks . . . that's very helpful.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"So for future reference, before dropping the engine, remove the sheet metal clutch cover from under the engine/tranny, then remove all the flex plate bolts first, correct?"

Correct.

Just put the TC on the input shaft and rotate it CCW while pushing on it. You will feel & hear it audibly go CLUNK a couple times as it enguages itself into the transmission. make sure the TC looks flush or maybe even a lil recessed in the transmission, if its sticking out of the bell housing at all.. you're not fully enguaged.

Modified by GimpyAccord at 11:32 AM 10/28/2005
Old 10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to remove the torque converter from crankshaft? (GimpyAccord)

Thanks again Gimpy!