Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Best location to mount tweeter?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best location to mount tweeter?

I have an EK hatch back and now my component speaker tweeter is mounted righr in front on the front windscreen area.
I was thinking of either putting it on the front door or make a custom mount.

Is there an ideal place to mount the tweeter to get the best sound?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mount it in the kick panel in custom pods or Qforms.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

What are Qforms?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Custom made kick panel speaker mounts made by Q-Logic. Check Crutchfield for pics and applications... I love 'em.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told by a shop to mount them close to ear level height as possible?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Takashi1978)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Takashi1978 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told by a shop to mount them close to ear level height as possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No.Just Silly.
As said Kickpanels
Old 01-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told by a shop to mount them close to ear level height as possible? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Never go to that shop again, as they have no clue.

Look at a few competition vehicles and see if they have their tweeters at ear level. Probably won't find many.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best location to mount tweeter? (Takashi1978)

Will this type of install work in your EK?

All you would need is the pod inserts from an EX/Si Coupe and it's a decent, cheap alternative to kick panels. My only compaint with the stock position of the mid range component driver is obstruction with passengers.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:30 PM

Actually, many of the SQ competition cars have tweeters on the pillars, somtimes along with the midranges. Like so:

The reason is simple: the higher the frequency the more directional the sound gets. Therefore if you put the tweeters at a practically floor level, you'll most likely feel the sound coming from below. Putting tweeters in the kick panels is great for improving the sound stage but, um... not so good for the sound image. Imagine yourself at a concert, not standing or sitting, but lying in front of the stage. Similar feeling. Even though many people don't really care.
In general there's no "Best location to mount a tweeter". Every car, every set of tweeters requires an individual approach. The best way to find a "sweet spot' is to apply some double-sided tape to your twiters and stick them to different places in your car untill it sounds best to you.
Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Never go to that shop again, as they have no clue.

Look at a few competition vehicles and see if they have their tweeters at ear level. Probably won't find many.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding?

Ear level or as close to as possible. The pic on the corner of the doors works well also.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (revhi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by revhi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you kidding?

Ear level or as close to as possible. The pic on the corner of the doors works well also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

here lies the problem both have their advantages and a lot of it depends on the type of tweeter you have. personally i prefer kick panels because its very close to the mids and you have a more equal path length. the disadvantage to this is that if you have a passenger who happens to have legs, they will block the kick panels resulting in a totally different frequency response. You can mount them in the doors but you'll have a huge difference in the path length. on the bright side...you dont have to worry about them being blocked.

theres no "best" spot to mount the tweeters. trial and error is your friend. its all about what sounds good to you. it's also a good idea to listen to a high end stereo so you can get an idea of how good a stereo can sound so you have a goal to work towards.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Therefore if you put the tweeters at a practically floor level, you'll most likely feel the sound coming from below. Putting tweeters in the kick panels is great for improving the sound stage but, um... not so good for the sound image. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not true. I consider my car to have a relatively good imaging and the tweeters are mounted in the kicks. the angle at which they're mounted plays a huge part in how they sound
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EBP_SI)

The component i have is MB Quart - QM 218

I think i might try out the positions B18C_EJ8 put up and go from there.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Takashi1978)

i mounted my tweeters facing up ontop of the component speakers.. works well .. u kno how it has that lil flat surface on the cover of the speakers.. :D
Old 01-28-2006, 08:53 AM

x2 on what EBP_SI said.

Biggest difference is path length differences. You want them to be as small as possible relative to the opposite driver.

One problem with mounting the tweeters on the a-pillar is that the left side tweeters will be be very close to your ears. The path length difference will be pretty big. You can use time alignment to help it (not my favorite thing to do).

Also, the higher the frequency doesn't necessarily mean the more directional it gets. 5khz is generally the sound staging frequency. You can play with that and your sound stage should be affected. Likewise, there are also imaging frequencies. You get to the point where the frequencies becomes less directional. Take 16-20khz for example. If set up properly, those frequencies will be airy and open. You're not going to hear it directly from the tweeters if set up properly.

Another disadvantage with having tweeters up in the a-pillar is that if the xover setting is incorrect, you will immediately recognize the position of the tweeters. The mids and tweeters will then be localizeable and it'll just sound artificial (unnatural).

Generally, kickpanel area is the best area for the least path length difference. Imaging can be done without time alignment, but if not done right, most people will get staging right at the knee or chest level.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (GSteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">x2 on what EBP_SI said.
One problem with mounting the tweeters on the a-pillar is that the left side tweeters will be be very close to your ears. The path length difference will be pretty big. You can use time alignment to help it (not my favorite thing to do).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup. forgot to mention time alignment. it's fine if you're the only person in the car however if you have a passenger, the better you make it sound for the driver, the worse it sounds for the passenger.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EBP_SI)

custom kick panels

Old 01-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (infinkc)

I'm doing an alarm on an EK right now. He's got the Q forms. The mounting for the tweeters suck. Maybe I'll snap a pic.

I want the tweeters pointing at the driver. The Q forms point them toward the center of the car. Some tweeters can be angled, but you can tell by looking at it that it's crap.

Modified by suspendedHatch at 1:39 PM 1/28/2006
Old 01-28-2006, 02:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infinkc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">custom kick panels

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice kicks... but im wondering on air space for each one of the woofer, mid bass and tweet.. as well as if they are separated inside that inclosure
Old 02-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Best location to mount tweeter? (Takashi1978)

Put them in the door panels like the "92-'95 EX cuz then its at ear level and will look real clean
Old 02-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Best location to mount tweeter? (batmaneg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batmaneg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put them in the door panels like the "92-'95 EX cuz then its at ear level and will look real clean </TD></TR></TABLE>

no. dont.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 AM

dude infinkc, how do those not get kicked to hell by your passengers? is there something over those?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (cruzin89lude)

I had a custom job done with Boston Acoustic 6.5's that the tweet's were mounted in the kick panel on my Integra GSR also. They never got kicked or anything. The imaging was perfect.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mount it as close to the mid as possibly. everyone else touched on that topic already.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mount it as close to the mid as possibly. everyone else touched on that topic already.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to elaborate on this more?

So mount it on the door like the ITR's?