falken vs kumho

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default falken vs kumho

http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_t.htm

http://www.vulcantire.com/ecsta712_t.htm

im stuck deciding between these two tires for this year. i want something that has good treadwear but is also a decent tire. i will only be runnin these tries roughly from april to november since i have a set of steelies for winter. i had the falkens last year, they were pretty good but im always open to suggestions . anyone have any experience with the kumhos or maybe even suggest something else?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: falken vs kumho (danteisme)

Well since your going to be using these tires in the better part of the year, i would choose a better tire than the ones you mentioned.

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is a great tire, good threadlife, awesome dry traction, and good wet traction.

If your trying to stay within your budget of the tires you mention, then consider Yoko ES100, and Kuhmo Ecsta SPT.

Ali
Old 03-06-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: falken vs kumho (PrinceAli132)

+1 im gonna be picking up a set of 205/50/15 kumho spt's from discount tire, only 66 bucks a tire
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the tires you mention are terrible choices. The Falken ZE-512 is an all-season tire whose performance from April to November is crap (and, since you have separate winter tires, you don't need an all-season tire anyway). The Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 is a really crappy summer tire whose performance isn't up to today's standards in budget performance tires.

For around $60/tire, you can get either the Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Yokohama AVS ES100 (both of which Ali mentioned) in the stock 195/55-15 size for your GS-R. Both are highly recommended - very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very good treadlife, great price) and will give you MUCH better performance than you've had from those all-seasons. Unfortunately, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 he mentioned isn't available in 15" sizes suitable for a GS-R.

Another choice similar to the SPT and ES100, that doesn't come in 195/55-15 but that comes in 205/50-15 which you can also use on your GS-R (it will cause your speedometer and odometer to read high by 1.6 percent) is the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, which Edge Racing still has on sale for $45/tire. And don't let the price fool you; it's as good as the SPT/ES100, and the Tire Rack sells the same tire for $58. (I don't know why Edge has it so cheap.)
Old 03-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: falken vs kumho (nsxtasy)

^^ that post just made me change my selection of summer tires. good post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another choice similar to the SPT and ES100, that doesn't come in 195/55-15 but that comes in 205/50-15 which you can also use on your GS-R (it will cause your speedometer and odometer to read high by 1.6 percent) is the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, which Edge Racing still has on sale for $45/tire. And don't let the price fool you; it's as good as the SPT/ES100, and the Tire Rack sells the same tire for $58. (I don't know why Edge has it so cheap.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, from now through April 1, there is a promotion on the Tire Rack website for a $50 rebate with the purchase of four Dunlop tires, and the DZ101 is eligible. So that brings the price down to about the same as from Edge Racing.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxtasy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Both of the tires you mention are terrible choices. The Falken ZE-512 is an all-season tire whose performance from April to November is crap (and, since you have separate winter tires, you don't need an all-season tire anyway). The Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 is a really crappy summer tire whose performance isn't up to today's standards in budget performance tires.

For around $60/tire, you can get either the Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Yokohama AVS ES100 (both of which Ali mentioned) in the stock 195/55-15 size for your GS-R. Both are highly recommended - very good dry traction, excellent wet traction, very good treadlife, great price) and will give you MUCH better performance than you've had from those all-seasons. Unfortunately, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 he mentioned isn't available in 15" sizes suitable for a GS-R.

Another choice similar to the SPT and ES100, that doesn't come in 195/55-15 but that comes in 205/50-15 which you can also use on your GS-R (it will cause your speedometer and odometer to read high by 1.6 percent) is the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, which Edge Racing still has on sale for $45/tire. And don't let the price fool you; it's as good as the SPT/ES100, and the Tire Rack sells the same tire for $58. (I don't know why Edge has it so cheap.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

good info. it looks like it will be between the yoko and the spt. on tire rack people seem to favor the kumho over the yoko, it has a little better tread wear rating. still up in the air on the decision. 2 dollar difference in price.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:08 PM
H-T Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danteisme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good info. it looks like it will be between the yoko and the spt. on tire rack people seem to favor the kumho over the yoko, it has a little better tread wear rating. still up in the air on the decision. 2 dollar difference in price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're very, very similar. The Kumho is slightly better on wet pavement. Yes, it also has a higher treadwear rating, but those ratings aren't all that reliable, especially when comparing different brands. Don't agonize over that choice; they're so similar you could easily just flip a coin. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danteisme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it has a little better tread wear rating. still up in the air on the decision. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't compare tread wear ratings between manufactures, I don't think you are even suppose to do it for different models.

Compare the warrenty offered on the tread life (50K mi, 40K mi, 60K mi...etc) That should be fairly indicative of the life you can expect from the tire under normal use.

Cheers.