Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Blinking sport light

Old 04-22-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking sport light

I'm a smog tech trying to figure out the criteria for what makes the sport light blink on a 91 honda accord. Custumers complaint is when the light blinks it will not start. Also when driving the light will start to blink and the speedo will jump around. Custumer has stated that the speed sensor has been replaced with no effect. Also has taken to two tranny shops and they state theres nothiong wrong with the tranny, When I drove the car I experienced harsh shifting. Wondering if maybe an intermittant problem with a soloniod in the tranny was causing the problem or maybe he installed a defective speed sensor. Is there a fix to just shut the light off all together so the puter doest see the issue. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks
Old 04-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Blinking sport light (slosmogman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slosmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a smog tech trying to figure out the criteria for what makes the sport light blink on a 91 honda accord. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What trouble code does it have stored?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Blinking sport light (Chiovnidca)

oops, meant to put in codes, 2, 7, 8
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM

you got an issue with lock up ans shift solenoid valves..

chk that all the wiring is ok, nothing broken or loose, unplug the connectors, get a needle nose plier and gently twist male the pin connectors ,, careful not to snap them.. if that does not help

remove both solenoids, take a look at the screen ( metal ) at times it gets plugged , clean the screens, spray some compressed air into the passages at trranny, put all together and test drive

try this and post results..if all that does not help you might have bad solenoids or open . short in the wiring or bad computer

Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Blinking sport light (accord-pro)

thanks, i'l try to get back towards the end of the week.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 AM

Well we did what you said with no results.. We also unhooked the solinoids witch caused the light to blink all the time and the car started twenty to thirty times. So I drove the car a few miles and stopped to see if it would start again. It did not.. I plugged it back in and still no start and the light was stilll blinking. Tried jumping the terminal unhooked from the solinoids. Still no start. So I unhooked the battery to erase computer memory and it started. Checked all connection to the computer. All were good. Only thing left is the puter. ??
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slosmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well we did what you said with no results.. We also unhooked the solinoids witch caused the light to blink all the time and the car started twenty to thirty times. So I drove the car a few miles and stopped to see if it would start again. It did not.. I plugged it back in and still no start and the light was stilll blinking. Tried jumping the terminal unhooked from the solinoids. Still no start. So I unhooked the battery to erase computer memory and it started. Checked all connection to the computer. All were good. Only thing left is the puter. ??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Does it have an intermittent no start condition? The transmission problem isn't likely to be the cause.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:21 AM

yes its intermittant. works great then when it acts up while driving speedo goes haywire and power takes a dive.. speed sensor was replaced with no results.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slosmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and power takes a dive.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What's that mean?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:54 AM

customer states that he looses power when the speedo acts up and when the speedo flickers to 0 at freeway speed. thing is you can crank on a cold engine or warm when you have a no start blinking light. then wait a few minutes then it starts with no blinking light