Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help remove rear tint (with defroster lines

Old 09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help remove rear tint (with defroster lines

my tint in the rear is bubbley, i want to remove it but it seems hard with the lines (defroster) can anyone tell me the easiest way? or the way to remove it.... thanks!

for 96 civic coupe
Old 09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (with defroster lines (Hiroshima_VTi-S)

i removed the rear tint on my car
all you need to do is heat up the tint with a heat gun and start pealing.
do it on a hot day.
but personally i would just pay some tint shop to do it cuz the have the tools and experience
only cost around 30 bucks
if you do it yourself you might risk damaging then defrost lines
Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help remove rear tint (void_accord)

tint places are not going to charge $30 to remove it, its difficult even for them.

Best thing to do it get a black garbage bag and cut it the shape of window. Spray soapy water all over INSIDE of window and put garbage bag against it (the soapy water wil make it stick) leave in the sun for a half hour and then it will make the glue softer. U can then peel most of it off.

Now, there will be glue all over the window still. This is really the hard part. U can get a green brillo type pad (the softer ones, not the metal) and brake cleaner and gently scrub off the glue and it will not ruin the defrost lines. I'm not sure if it's brake cleaner for sure.......

I did not use the brillo and brake cleaner as I was not aware of them when I did it but just the back window alone with a razor blade, TOOK ME 2 HOURS to get it all off.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:49 AM

Default Re: help remove rear tint (with defroster lines (Hiroshima_VTi-S)

I just did this to my car last week. All you need is a spray bottle with soap(I used dawn) and water, "0000" steel wool, and a heatgun or hair dryer. Make sure you get the finest (0000) steel wool. I got a 16 pack at Lowes for $4.00. Start with the heatgun or hair dryer by heating up one of the corners. After a couple of seconds of heat check to see if the tint will peel back from the window. If it does, just start pulling back while putting heat just ahead of where you are peeling. Try and take the tint in one piece. OK, when the tint is off you're going to have an adhesive film still on the window. That's when you move to step two. Park your car in the sun for about an hour. After that, just
start spraying the soap and water mix on the adhesive that is left after you pulled the tint off. Let the soap sit for just a minute on the adhesive and then just start rubbing with the steel wool until you get it all off. I tried this a few ways, and found this method the best. Don't use brake cleaner. I've never heard of anyone using it. If you're still not sure about this go to this website. http://www.tintdude.com/
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (SEN_ONE)

i was told when i got my tint done that whatever i use to clean the windows, make sure its not ammonia based....

try using something with ammonia. i used a heat gun and a razor blade but that took forever to do
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: help remove rear tint (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SEN_ONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just did this to my car last week. All you need is a spray bottle with soap(I used dawn) and water, "0000" steel wool, and a heatgun or hair dryer. Make sure you get the finest (0000) steel wool. I got a 16 pack at Lowes for $4.00. Start with the heatgun or hair dryer by heating up one of the corners. After a couple of seconds of heat check to see if the tint will peel back from the window. If it does, just start pulling back while putting heat just ahead of where you are peeling. Try and take the tint in one piece. OK, when the tint is off you're going to have an adhesive film still on the window. That's when you move to step two. Park your car in the sun for about an hour. After that, just
start spraying the soap and water mix on the adhesive that is left after you pulled the tint off. Let the soap sit for just a minute on the adhesive and then just start rubbing with the steel wool until you get it all off. I tried this a few ways, and found this method the best. Don't use brake cleaner. I've never heard of anyone using it. If you're still not sure about this go to this website. http://www.tintdude.com/ </TD></TR></TABLE>

yuup best way to go
Old 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (killakoupe)

dont scrape it whatever you do, i currently hvae no rear defroster because i did that

oh well, new hatch glass anyone?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (92ehatch)

i just got this tint remover bottle from walmart and sprayed it on there and got a scuff padd liek you use for ovens and just scrubb away worked easily took me like 30 mins just make sure you leave your windows down and have the bottom of your trunk open...layer the bottom of your glass to so you dont get icky runs of goo and gunk other then that hope it helps you.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tint places are not going to charge $30 to remove it, its difficult even for them.

Best thing to do it get a black garbage bag and cut it the shape of window. Spray soapy water all over INSIDE of window and put garbage bag against it (the soapy water wil make it stick) leave in the sun for a half hour and then it will make the glue softer. U can then peel most of it off.

Now, there will be glue all over the window still. This is really the hard part. U can get a green brillo type pad (the softer ones, not the metal) and brake cleaner and gently scrub off the glue and it will not ruin the defrost lines. I'm not sure if it's brake cleaner for sure.......

I did not use the brillo and brake cleaner as I was not aware of them when I did it but just the back window alone with a razor blade, TOOK ME 2 HOURS to get it all off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with this guy..this is wat i do at my tint shop..basically that is..
we use an ammonia spray..we sell em cause my dad's a tint distributor also
but leave the trash bag on for a good 2-3 hours between 10-2...(that's when the sun is at it's hottest) but since it's bubbly..it's gonna be harder..
if you have any questions..holler..ima a tinter..i've only been tinting for almost a year now..and im almost pro..heheh =]
Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (minjae)

have you tried brake cleaner?

i use that to take off the sticky residue from inspection stickers.

brake cleaner will take off everything it seems lol
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help remove rear tint (92ehatch)

I USED TO TINT WINDOWS AND YES IT IS HARD TO GET OFF...WHATEVER YOU DO DONT USE A RAZOR OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT WILL SCREW UP THE DEFROSTER LINES OR ELSE YOUR DEFROST IS DONE...I RECOMMEND USING AMONIA OR A STEAMER IF AVAILABLE....WE CHARGED 60 BUCKS TO REMOVE ALL THE WINDOWS....BUT THE BACK ONE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT AVERAGE JOE CANT TAKE OFF....ITS UP TO YOU THOUGH....LET ME KNO HOW YOU MAKE OUT
Old 09-19-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: help remove rear tint (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Best thing to do it get a black garbage bag and cut it the shape of window. Spray soapy water all over INSIDE of window and put garbage bag against it (the soapy water wil make it stick) leave in the sun for a half hour and then it will make the glue softer. U can then peel most of it off.
</TD></TR></TABLE> This is the best way to do it . this is the way i did it when i worked at a shop
Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: help remove rear tint (Full_JDM_Eg6)

Take your car out on a really warm sunny day saturate the window with windex let it sit for about 2 hours get a heat gun and heat up one corner get a razor blade and ONLY USE IT TO LIFT UP THE CORNER once you have the corner lifted keep spraying and heating it up till its completely removed from the window all of the adhesive should come off with the film if not get a littl rubbing alcohol and ammonia mixture and a green brillo and lightly scrub them off take your time removing tint is asmuch a paint as putting it in
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me remove rear tint 2nd layer!!!

I Have Removed All Tint Off Of My Windows. Even The Back One, However It
Seems That There Were Two Layers On The Back Three Windows Of My 4DR Gs-R,
The Back Two Windows Were Not To Difficult As I Could Use A Razor Blade On The
Second Layer. I Used The "Trash-Bag" Method To Get The first Layer Of Tint Off
Of The Back Window And It Worked Great. I Have Tried The "Trash-Bag" Method
Three Times Since Then On The Last Layer Of Tint And It Has Done Almost
Nothing To The Glue. Should I Just Bring This Thing To A Professional They Want
$60 At The Local Shop Here
Old 11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heatgun and a razor.
i did both my front windows for a fixit ticket.took about 20 mins both.

heat on from outside and scrape enough to pull,
then pull while u heat.
looks clean,scrape off leftover glue.glass cleaner,done.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tonEK)

the "second layer" is the glue.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the "second layer" is the glue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No This Is Actual Tint. I'm Thinking That The Back 3 Were Tinted In '96 And Then He Had All 5 Tinted In 2000 Or Something. I Bought It On Jan. Of This Year You Can See All Of The Glue On The Tint I Cleaned All Of That Off But Now There Is A Whole Layer of "Burnt" Tint
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the trashbag technique is really easy

just use window cleaner with ammonia
let it soak it the hot sun
then it'll peel off

the left over glue can be taken off by doing the same thing over again
Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the trashbag technique is really easy

just use window cleaner with ammonia
let it soak it the hot sun
then it'll peel off

the left over glue can be taken off by doing the same thing over again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Man!?, But To Requote Mself<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4DRDB8GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I Used The "Trash-Bag" Method To Get The first Layer Of Tint Off Of The Back Window And It Worked Great. I Have Tried The "Trash-Bag" Method Three Times Since Then On The Last Layer Of Tint And It Has Done Almost Nothing To The Glue...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, let me explain the ammonia based chemicals; that does nothing for the glue, it's just that it fades the tint to purple, so ammonia based products wont do anything. What I did is got in my car on a humid rainy day, and started working hard on getting the tint off; I did this with the doors closed, and actually generated body heat, and fogged up all the windows REALLY bad. But upon doing so, the glue and tint came off in one piece altogether. It was miserable working conditions, but it made the tint and glue come off together in one piece and was fairly easy to remove.....just a though......how could you get more humidity in the car; fog the windows up, then take your window tint off
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yeah it has to be really hot

are you leaving the windows up & letting it bake
Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (themorphious)

Get a spray bottle fill it with 1 part baby shampoo and 9 part water. Then get yourself some of those little green scrubby pads and start scrubin. Work on one section at a time.

Goodluck, It's not a fun process.

Ohhh and do this once you have removed the tint, just in case you didn't get that.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JANDB04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JANDB04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ohhh and do this once you have removed the tint, just in case you didn't get that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, But How Do I Remove The Tint....ahhhh.

I Have Driven The Car Since I Took The Tint Off And You Can No Longer See Through It At All. It's Just All Blurred And Foggy. What Do I Do? Looks Like I Have Backed Myself Into A Corner On Having To Bring This Thing Into The Tint Shop. FU%$!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

didnt u say u already removed the tint...

are you doing the trash bag method with the windows up on a hot & sunny day?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

Not To Be A Dick But Do You Read At All Or Just Post. I Responded To Your Post Earlier And Had To Quote Myself Because You Were Just Posting.
To Quote Myself For The Second Time
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4DRDB8GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Have Removed All Tint Off Of My Windows. Even The Back One, However It Seems That There Were Two Layers On The Back Three Windows Of My 4DR Gs-R...I Used The "Trash-Bag" Method To Get The first Layer Of Tint Off Of The Back Window And It Worked Great. I Have Tried The "Trash-Bag" Method Three Times Since Then On The Last Layer Of Tint And It Has Done Almost Nothing To The Glue...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just In Case You Still Did Not Read At All!!!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
<U>The Back 3 Windows Were Double Layered!!!</U>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help remove rear tint (with defroster lines