Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22-EG wiring harness question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22-EG wiring harness question

Just a question to see if anybody has ever tried this...

Use the h22 vtec wiring harness and plugging that directly into the eg shock towers? and if the pinouts and/or plugs are different...simply just switching those out with the stock wiring harness's cannon plugs and repinning so its correct...

this is assuming that vtec and knock sensor is already wired up from shock tower to ecu
Old 10-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22-EG wiring harness question (dc2vu)

I was going to do it that way, but in the end it's way more work. First off all the plugs for the H22 are on the driver side, where as the EG has most on passenger side, but some left on the driver's side. So you'd have to split open the harness, move all the wires over. Then, NONE of the connectors are correct, they all have to be repinned which leave you trying to correctly repin all 47 (I think) wires.

Not worth the effort really, most of the stuff on the EG harness will match the H22, with maybe 5 plugs needing to be extended so it's no strained. Also if you're going to run a chipped ECU (which I kind have wished I did from the beginning) you can skip the EGR, IAB (assuming you don't get a P72), and knock sensors which eliminates a lot of the extra wiring. Leaving you with just extending the stock plugs and adding 3 wires.

That or save yourself time and effort and buy a completed harness, but it's more rewarding IMO to do it yourself.

Cliff Notes: Yes you could do it that way, but you better be really good at reading wiring diagrams, and have a lot of patience.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hm thanks for the reply...i guess ill have to actually take a look at the harnesses...i actually have a gsr harness i could use but id rather just sell it haha...
Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: (dc2vu)

If you use the GSR harness it should be pretty straight forward. Use the GSR harness as your base and pull the plugs that you need from the H22 harness. Mount the harness on your engine and extend the wires that need to be extended. You'll need to wire in, Knock Sensor depending on which ECU you use, Convert to a 4 Wire O2, and Wire in Resistor Box. The other emissions sensors are optional, but may give you a cel if not wired. Here are some good links:

General H22 Swap/Wiring Info
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/650329

1 to 4 Wire O2 Conversion
http://www.hybridautomotive.com/tech/o2/

ECU Pin Schematics
http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd1.htm
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thanks...yeah ive been through a lot of that stuff already...just been talkin to a couple buddies with h22 swaps already done...everythings set up already other than the resistor box which wont be used cuz im gonna be using inline resistors...thanks for the informative reply though!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thought, is to run injectors from or for an h22a4.. then u dont have to run any kind of resistor at all....

just an idea.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but that takes finding and buying injectors to where i can spend less than 5 bucks on resistors :-P
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

general rule of thumb for swaps: use the harness that comes with the chasis, not the harness that comes with the engine, and then adapt it to fit the engine.

will make ur life a hell of a lot easier.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah...i was just seeing if anybody has tried it...it seemed like an easy route like doing a b18 swap in an eg...u just use the b18 wire harness and everything plugs in directly.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another thought, is to run injectors from or for an h22a4.. then u dont have to run any kind of resistor at all....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, but if he's got the kind that needs the resistor box (peak & hold), they're larger then the later H22A4 injectors (saturated), so he'd always be running lean if he kept the stock computer. So then he'd need a computer chipped to the appropriate size. All to avoid soldering 5 wires? It's much easier to wire in the resistor box. They're easy to find (I have some if anybody needs them) and cheap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2vu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah...i was just seeing if anybody has tried it...it seemed like an easy route like doing a b18 swap in an eg...u just use the b18 wire harness and everything plugs in directly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea I started off that way, I thought it would be much easier as well. And it really just isn't, turns out it's a much bigger hassle. Too bad, cause that would have been nice.