Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

White smoke coming out of front hood...

Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White smoke coming out of front hood...

2dr 95 accord lx @ 77K miles. Didn't take the 90K major tune up yet.

Temp meter was showing almost half, but that seemed normal to me. I was just there parked at my house after a 2-3 hour drive.. I noticed a small white smoke coming out of my hood. I opened it and a huge heat of air just blasted out... I've always thought this as normal as well after a long drive, but no white smoke afterwards. I just let the car sit there turned off with the hood open to let it cool down. I checked the coolant... its fine to me. My mechanic just recently fixed the coolant leak about a month ago. He told me that we wont know what will happen in the future, but not to drive it if the temperature is too high or if I see something wrong under the hood. Same problem happend to my last Accord (2nd gen), except it had more white smoke coming out during the rainy season.

Btw, it was raining pretty hard today, so I dont know if the rain drops coming in the hood could possibly make the small puffs of white smoke. I kind of feel bad for myself because my folks had seen me so upset about my car and told me that the car was too old, they wanted me to get a more efficient car back then when we were looking around like the 2006 Accord or something, Civic SI... is it time to move on for a more efficient car like an Evo IX or WRX STI and just sell this Accord? Darn, I just drove this car for like a few months now after I bought it. I like it and all, but I would have to agree that I prefer to be the first owner of a car. I do sort of blame the last owner for not taking care of this Accord correctly...
Old 02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm same thing happened to this person I know. So basicly do 2 things.

Pressure test the cooling system. Check for any leaks. Even small leak hitting the hot engine can create white smoke. like small or big. Check for leaks for sure. The one that I found was really really small.

And 5th gen Accords are strong. and 77,000mi is VERY LITTLE! some ppl says these cars can run up to like 250,000 before something major happens. and no don't get Sti or EVO. Mitsubishi=Bad cars. Break down. Had a galant, broke down. WRX cool. Not too many ppl has it? Why? Bad cars. Plus high insurance for both.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (The-Kid)

are you talking about buying it from private sellers or off the lot from a mitsubishi/subaru dealership?

the insurance isnt as high as the integra's and civics, is it?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: White smoke coming out of front hood... (EvenStar)

Could well have been rain drops steaming, sniff around the engine when hot, coolant has a real strong 'sweet' smell.
FWIW those engines are TANKS/ BULLETPROOF/ ABLE TO LEAP TALL BUILDINGS IN A SINGLE BOUND, that car is 5X the value of a flippin Civic. And you can tell your folks Hondadude says so!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: White smoke coming out of front hood... (hondadude)

only thing major to happen to my car is the starter/flyhweel if you consider that major but all in all nothing really had to replace a valve cover gasket thats it. might have to change the HG but eh wth it burns the oil whihc produces a bit of smoke under the hood when sitting still and only leaks like what a quart every 3 months depending on how much you drive it :D it has 300k on it /woot
Old 02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: White smoke coming out of front hood... (EvenStar)

the same thing happened to mine, i had a small crack in my heater hose and coolant was hitting the hot engine. turn it on and see were the smoke is coming from then you'll find your leak