Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane???

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane???

I'm going to be spraying my civic championship white and seeing that from the factory ITR's had Single Stage NH-0 paint I've decided to use a single stage paint also. I noticed that a lot of paint shops sell single stage in either Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane. Does any body if there are distinct differences in the 2 acrylics? Like the shine or maybe even the durability?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane??? (aznlaoboi315)

Acrylic enamel is a less advanced material, works great and can look great but it tends to to be less durable and age faster than urethane enamel. Its still a 2K catalyzed, chemical resistant paint but the urethane is more advanced.

Urethane enamel is very durable and flexible so it can expand/contract more compared to older less advanced paints. Its more of a current, up to date paint material. The high quality urethane clears have excellent high gloss characteristics also. Urethane can last a long time while looking fresh when kept up and properly maintained.

I don't shop around for paint much, but these are the two types of auto paints being used beside the newer water base. I've never really seen auto paint labeled as " acrylic urethane " only urethane enamel or acrylic enamel. Sounds like a sneaky way of labeling cheaper acrylic paint.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane??? (powerflow)

very good info thanks powerflow

buying paint is tricky I went on ebay and typed "Acrylic Urethane Paint" and it returned many results and then I typed "Urethane Enamel Paint" in the searchbox it came up with like 6 results. I'm going to be using either OMNI or ShopLine PPG brands for the single stage paint because the PPG Concept is too pricey.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane??? (aznlaoboi315)

Check out this site. You may want to call them to see if they can offer competitive pricing to the ebay items. They also carry the BASF RM Diamont line, which is what I prefer to use.

http://www.ketone.com/