Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

how to turn check engine light off!?!?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to turn check engine light off!?!?

I have a 1993 honda prelude with an h23 and the check engine light is on I had it scanned and it was a connecter in my distributer I replaced the distributor but the light is still on. I tried taking the clock/radio fuse out for 10 seconds but it didnt work If anyone knows what to do besides take it to a dealer please help

thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to turn check engine light off!?!? (93LUDEH22SWP)

taking the negative off the battery for about 10 seconds, if it doesnt go away you have another code to check
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had it scanned? Using what method, and who? (a mechanic, a dealership, electronics diagnostic shop etc.?) I thought only obd2 cars needed a scanner?!

If your check engine light is on, than you have a CEL code being listed and stored in your on-board memory.

NOTE: ONLY read further if you need to know how to check a CEL CODE OBD1 (prelude specific)

Check the cel in your OBD1 prelude by jumpering the little BLUE TWO PIN CONNECTOR BEHIND YOUR CENTER DASH. ITS RIGHT TO THE RIGHT OF YOUR GAS PEDAL behind the plastic molding. If you slide your hand in behind the molding you can feel around for wires that don't connect into anything (BE GENTLE, like your.....oh lets say (you know what I'd like to say but...) petting a "CAT". Hopefully you'll feel your way to the one I very well described above, pull it out, stick an unraveled paper clip in one end, than into the other to create a jumper (connect the two). Than turn your ignition to "ON" (accessories) (Don't Crank it, just fire up electronics), and watch your check engine light. It will flash. You count the number of Long flashes, and the number of short flashes. Long flashes equal 10, short equal 1. The codes will repeat, and if you see a long pause, and than a different combination of flashes you have multiple error codes. Just watch for 10 minutes or so. Count long, count short. Add your 10's together, add your 1's together, than combine your 10's and 1's.
Its like reading Binary Number systems.

Ie. 5 long flashes, 3 short flashes = 53. (than you refer to a workshop manual or a Haynes which is what I highly suggest you have or please don't touch your car anymore.

Find what error code you have and report to us! (I Love OBD1 cars)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the clock/radio is not the right fuse to pull. take out the ecu fuse(s). i took out both in my accord along with the battery disconnect to be sure. if i am wrong, the prelude are set up completely different but i am sure it has an ecu fuse.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 AM

did u fix the problem?if you didnt, it'll come back on!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to turn check engine light off!?!? (HeedLessInc)

i took it to the local honda dealership. they told me that it was a sensor in my distributor. i bought a new one from a pre pull apart store and replaced it. the light stayed on and i couldnt get it to reset. i had it rescanned and they told me that it was my crank position sensor. since the crank position sensor is inside the distributor would it mean that the one i bought is also bad. if i cna reset the light and it comes back then i know the problem but the code was never cleared so it could be reading the same code if the problem is fixed but i dont know how to reset it. ive taken the neg of the battery it did nothing i havnt tried the ecu fuse yet i will tonight and let u know how it goes