Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1992 Accord turns over but won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Accord turns over but won't start...

It's been doing this intermittently for a while, but now it happens fairly often... I've done a search, but found nothing that helps or that is specific to my symptoms.

I turn the key on and the CEL comes on and doesn't turn off, plus the D4 light flashes; I checked and no codes are stored. It'll turn over, but no fire at all. Eventually, with enough tries turning of the ignition and then turning it back on, everything will return to normal. The transmission operates properly while driving.

When it first started doing this, it only took a couple of attempts and only happened once every few months, but now it takes a while and happens more frequently.

I've read about the distributor and main relay issues, but saw nothing about the CEL and D4 lights, and don't see how they could be related...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1992 Accord turns over but won't start... (gotdurt)

I've never actually seen this exact symptom, but from your description of cycling the key, it leads me to point a finger at the electrical part of the ignition switch.
You can remove the steering column shrouds pretty easy and have a look at the solder joints on the back of the switch.
They should all appear shiny, not frosty silver or melted down.
If you have a test light I could look thru the schematics to for places help you diagnose this problem.
Is JOE'S GENERIC BAR still down on 6th St? Guess it is Pecan St now or so I've heard. I killed a million brain cells there and saw some great bands
Old 05-30-2008, 05:23 AM

Default Re: 1992 Accord turns over but won't start... (hondadude)

I read somewhere online that the communication between the ECM and TCM run through the main relay... I'm thinking if that's true, a malfunctioning relay might cause both lights to come on and would also explain why they're on with no codes...

Other way around... It used to be Pecan, now it's 6th... that was a looong time ago though. I don't recall a Joe's Generic, but bars change there all the time from what I've seen.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1992 Accord turns over but won't start... (gotdurt)

The Main relay is not going to cause the problem you are describing.
The com line from the ECU to the TCU is a straight line wires you can actually see when you peel back the carpet on the passenger side, and look at the plugs.

Yeah I guess I'm dating myself it was a long time ago 1984 1985 when I left there, but it was good times.
Used to sit my son on my knee and feed peanuts to the squirrels at the capitol, but he is 22 now and would probably shoot the squirrels skin em and fry them up. LOL
Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
New User

Default Re: 1992 Accord turns over but won't start...

Try checking your main relay. Located high under the dash. I have a 92 Accord EX and I had the same problem. So frustrating! I tested the ignitor coil and it ohmed bad (replaced it). All other starting components were fine. But when I started reading other forums about the main relay over and over again I decided to make the effort!! Was well worth it!! Click the URL at the bottom of my reply it'll walk you through all the steps! Also, I took a large magnifying glass and you could see the cracks at the solder joints! Just look REALLY close at each joint and all around it as it is hard to see with the naked eye! I almost missed a cracked joint. Have had zero problems since the fix! Hope it works out for you!!http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 1992 Accord turns over but won't start...

THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE YOUR VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR... I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND NOW THE CAR ISNT EVEN TURNING OVER. IT TRIES BUT WON'T ACTUALLY KICK OVER. DONT KNOW IF THE PROBLEMS ARE RELATED OR NOT BUT THE LACK OF TORQUE AND THE FLASHING D4 LIGHT IS DEFINITELY YOUR VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR.

Originally Posted by gotdurt
It's been doing this intermittently for a while, but now it happens fairly often... I've done a search, but found nothing that helps or that is specific to my symptoms.

I turn the key on and the CEL comes on and doesn't turn off, plus the D4 light flashes; I checked and no codes are stored. It'll turn over, but no fire at all. Eventually, with enough tries turning of the ignition and then turning it back on, everything will return to normal. The transmission operates properly while driving.

When it first started doing this, it only took a couple of attempts and only happened once every few months, but now it takes a while and happens more frequently.

I've read about the distributor and main relay issues, but saw nothing about the CEL and D4 lights, and don't see how they could be related...