Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 Honda Accord die then restart problem

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Honda Accord die then restart problem

Have a problem with fiance's car that happened this morning and wondered if I have enough info to give out there that someone may have experienced.

She was driving the freeway to work this morning and talking to me on the phone when all of a sudden she said her car dash lights were all on and the car died. This happened when she exited the freeway and was stopped at a stop light. She said she tried to start it but nothing happened. (Dash lights on/no crank/stone dead)

Just so happens a work employee was right behind her and she opened the car door to explain to him the problem and he said put in neutral and they could push it off to the side of the road. She shut the door to put the car in neutral and had to turn the key on to shift the automatic stick shift. When she did the car turned over and started.

She was able to drive the mile or so to work and park without a problem.

I went to her work to look at the car.

I checked the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness/ NO PROBLEM FOUND.

Checked for loose wires at the alternator, tapped the fuse boxes under the hood and side inner passenger door while the engine was running/NO PROBLEM FOUND

Alternator belt is tight/NO PROBLEM FOUND

Ran car with lights on, blower motor full blast and operated both power windows while engine was running/NO PROBLEM FOUND

Turned lights on without engine running for 5 or so minutes and engine fired right up.

I also wiggled the key in the ignition to see if there was a loose connection inside the switch while the engine was running/ NO PROBLEM FOUND

Not sure now what the problem could be but since the engine had a dead/no crank symptom when it died I am thinking the problem is somewhere in the ignition system.

Possible corroded starter wire at the starter?

Relay failure?

I know it would be easy if the car would have just stayed dead and it may take that to figure this out. Or it may never happen again.

I am hoping someone reading this may have an idea/experience to share so I can check it out.

Your help is appreciated.

Modified by rhol55 at 11:01 AM 9/24/2008
Old 09-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Re: 99 Honda Accord die then restart problem (rhol55)

Not sure if this is the problem but I used to have a 99 Honda Accord that shut off on me while I was driving on the freeway. Luckily it was a 5 speed so I was able to put it back in gear and it started. I took it to the dealer and was told there was a recall on the ignition switch. Sounds like it may be the same problem might want to contact Honda to see if they will cover it as part of the recall.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 99 Honda Accord die then restart problem (Monkey07)

[B]Thanks for the reply and it's good to know about the recall! We will check into that. Please read on......

I just received this email from her of what the car did today at lunch. Does it sound like a dirty intake manifold plate? Here is her message...

I drove the car at lunch, it started up fine & it idled in the parking lot fine, but when I get to a stop sign, it wants to die & when I put the car in park, it wants to die...?B]
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Here's an update for anyone interested......

My girlfriend brought her car over and it died several times at stop lights on the way. I took the hose off from the air cleaner and had her hold the gas pedal to the floor (engine off of course) and sprayed carb cleaner around the throttle body plate and wiped black oily build up out from around the throat of the intake body. Gave it a quick clean, put it back together and gave it a test run. Car runs/idles great now and never died. Assume that was the problem.

I want to clean it better and would be nice to take the whole intake off to do a good job, but realize it can be a lot of work getting to all the intake nuts holding it on. I have seen mechanics before spay into the intake and use a long rod or long screwdrive with a rag bunched up on the end to swap out the intake, around the throttle plate and deep inside the body housing. Might try that but it would sure be nice to really claen it spotless like new!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it have any check engine lights?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Re: 99 Honda Accord die then restart problem (hon2984)

No check engine light is on when running, just the usual show when the key is first turned on.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 AM

You mentioned that all her dash lights come on, I think if it was the switch she would lose all her dash lights when it stalls. If it starts acting up only when it's hot it could be the main relay. I read an article where the solder joints weaken on the relays and when they get hot they start acting up. Let them cool off and everything appears normal. It seems to be an easy fix, if you're handy with a soldering iron, rather than paying for a new relay, if that's the problem. Just something to check out.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Re: 99 Honda Accord die then restart problem (slimjim186)

Thanks for the info slimjim186, what you say makes a lot of sense.

But I think we figured it out on this one as being the intake throttle plate being gummed up and not letting the car idle when it comes to a stop. Since I cleaned the throttle plate everything is working great now.

What you said is good to know though since her particular Honda model does show a history of ignition problems in that area. Something to refer to in case that problem arises in the future. Thanks!