Notices

OBD1 B20 Swap in EF Sedan, CPS, CYP, CKP, Code 9, Need some Help

Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 B20 Swap in EF Sedan, CPS, CYP, CKP, Code 9, Need some Help

I have a JDM b20b in my EF sedan. I just recently bought the car. It is throwing a code 9. The owner said that the light came on a couple days before I bought the car. He said that he tried an LS distributor but it didn't get rid of the code. The car runs and drives great. Tonight, I was driving on the highway and the car engine suddenly stopped firing. I quickly brought it down to 4th and it continued to bog. I decelerated a bit and the engine began to fire again. So here is my problem.

-JDM B20B, b16 Trans
- Throwing an (OBD1) Code 9, No.1 cylinder position sensor]

Is this the sensor in the the distributor; CKP? Could it be the CKF (Fluctuation)? I dont know if my engine is OBD1 or OBD2, so I believe it may or may not have this sensor. I am not sure where the sensor is but from searching, is it inside the timing cover?
- Car stopped firing
It stopped firing for no more that 10 seconds. Could any of these sensors cause this? I always thought that a bad CKP or CKF would cause the car to run like complete crap. Iv'e been kinda ignoring the problem assuming its a wire somewhere... I went through all the ecu wires/ conversion harness and soldered everything in, reset the ecu (Unplugged) and the code still popped up.

- I havent checked for continuity in any wires. I dont have my votage/ ammeter on me (im in school). I also dont have a haynes manual with me. If anyone can inform me of the wires to check, that would really help me out. I can probably find someone with a resistive meter.

Please help me out. From searching, this seems to be a obscure topic.
For clarity, can someone simply explain the difference and locations of the CPK (Crank position sensor), CKF (Crank fluctuation sensor), and the crank angle sensor... Please help me out. Thanks

-Justin
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it would be best to try a new dizzy first even though the previous owner says he tried a different one with the same result

you may need a new ecu if the dizzy doesn't fix it