Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Steering Quickener

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Quickener

When I started the process of installing a steering quickener in my car, I was amazed at the lack of images or threads about it on the internet. Either nobody uses these things, or they just don't bother posting pictures of them. In any case, I figured I'd do a favor and post up what I did so others can see.

The car is a dedicated autocross EP car (86 Civic), and my intent is to allow me to not have to shuffle steer/ go hand over hand during tight slaloms. The new steering ratio gives me slightly less than 2.5 turns lock to lock, so it should be nice and quick, but not crazy. The rest of the steering system is a Civic sedan power steering rack driven by an MR2 electric steering pump.

This is the steering quickener I used. It is nice and small and very light.

I had to cut the Honda steering shaft and weld on some splined couplers to match the quickener. This was not easy, as it was difficult to align the couplers with the shafts. Proper machining equipment would have made it easy (a lathe), but It turned out perfect with simple hand tools and some patience.

To hold the quickener to the body and support the steering wheel end of the shaft, I had to fabricate some brackets. This shows the whole steering column assembly:

And finally, the assembly in the car:

-Chris
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Steering Quickener

great! Thanks for sharing. May I ask where you purchased this and how much it was?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 AM
something different

cool. nice install. a buddy has the same one (i believe) on his integra rallycar.

any other pics of the car? looks awesome (love the batt. location)
Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In for future referance
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write-up. You're at a little less than 2.5 turns LTL now. What was it before you installed the steering quickener?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you get the quickener?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make me one
Old 03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of places carry it, however they are made by someone for Coleman racing.

http://www.colemanracing.com/store/s...ch=Yes&sppp=10

Last edited by DB2-R81; 11-13-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Link updated
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by EMod Civic
When I started the process of installing a steering quickener in my car, I was amazed at the lack of images or threads about it on the internet. Either nobody uses these things, or they just don't bother posting pictures of them. In any case, I figured I'd do a favor and post up what I did so others can see.
We use a three bolt setup on the Civic rally car.

http://fatboyraceworks.com/gallery/v/Civic/Quickener/
Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rotten,

I didn't even know there was a three bolt version - interesting. I'm assuming from your pictures that you are relying on the single set screw that holds the coupler to the input of the quickener as the only mechanism that keeps the steering wheel from pulling off? I was a little uncomfortable with that sort of configuration - I don't know why, but it just bothered me a little. I'm pretty sure I've well over-built my bracket, but I wanted to make sure it was nice and tight so I don't have any slop from the quickener install.

-Chris
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much rotational free play does this device have?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beanbag
how much rotational free play does this device have?
In the new and unused condition I would say it has no rotational free play. At least there is none that I can feel. It does have a tiny bit of radial play, which is one of the reasons I was concerned about mounting the steering wheel off of it without an additional support.

-Chris
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
New User

Can you still get to the pictures or are they on another site?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
New User

This is a video on a quick steering mod looks just like that one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc1SUs0SY70
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello guys, have anybody use that quickener for a long time? i want to install one on an ek civic which is used everyday. how much durability do quickeners have? how fast in everyday using will distinctive free play occur? and finally what producer better to choose?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Q*i*kener

anybody sell a "kit" already made?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering Q*i*kener

Originally Posted by Kova23
hello guys, have anybody use that quickener for a long time? i want to install one on an ek civic which is used everyday. how much durability do quickeners have? how fast in everyday using will distinctive free play occur? and finally what producer better to choose?
I would strongly advise against using one on a street car. Due to the fact that they can come apart (The set screws/couplers) and you'll lose your steering.

Originally Posted by jdmdohcek98
anybody sell a "kit" already made?
Nope
Old 11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gosh, I want one! But I am afraid I drive too much on the street. Are there any more reliable ways to quicken the steering? Where could I pick up a quicker steering rack?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Power steering or not? Which chassis? Quaife make some quick steering guts for the manual steering EF and EG racks. The EF parts make it really quick @ 2.4 turns lock to lock, but Quaife claim 2.8. I have it and it's 2.4. EG, not so quick. I think 3.25.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ I really wish they made one for ek.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the integra power steering pinion gear into the ek rack drops you to about 3.2 ish lock to lock. Im at 3 "LTL" because of tire rubbing though. IMO this is good enough for the street, its enough difference that you notice, but its not so much that you can't parallel park. I guess if you retained powersteering it wouldnt matter as much. The only reason i could see something quicker being a benefit would be autoX
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is an virs civic which already has rack with about 3 revolutions from lock to lock and it seems to be insufficient. i have some experience on an impreza spec c with very short rack and i very liked it. i think that 2-2.5 revolutions from lock to lock with power steering would be quite comfortable for street.
as for safety. i don't think that quickener can come apart without any signs, and in any way civic with quickener is much more safer than russian cars
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
Power steering or not? Which chassis? Quaife make some quick steering guts for the manual steering EF and EG racks. The EF parts make it really quick @ 2.4 turns lock to lock, but Quaife claim 2.8. I have it and it's 2.4. EG, not so quick. I think 3.25.
1991 Civic Si, non-power steering. I am looking up the quaife rack now, and I am afraid that my wallet will be one unhappy camper... Its this one, right?
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-134...turns-ltl.aspx

Would i have to take 'roids to be able to turn the wheel in a parking lot? Lol.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unusual71
the integra power steering pinion gear into the ek rack drops you to about 3.2 ish lock to lock. Im at 3 "LTL" because of tire rubbing though. IMO this is good enough for the street, its enough difference that you notice, but its not so much that you can't parallel park. I guess if you retained powersteering it wouldnt matter as much. The only reason i could see something quicker being a benefit would be autoX
yeah i have that setup but i hear the teg rack teeth are finer so it will go bad later on. im going to get ek pinion again.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
gkd
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Coleman 3-bolt 1.5:1 quickener in my EK rally car. It is about 2.2 turns lock-to-lock as I am using a 99 Si rack which was about 3.3 turns stock. Notes:
-There is noticeable play and the feel/feedback is mostly gone.
-I spliced/grafted/welded the ends of the stock steering columm onto the quickener ends so nothing can ever come loose(the car takes an unbelievable beating on rough gravel roads). Similar install to rotten.
-I had to modify the bypass and output valves of the EK power steering pump so I would have more assist at higher RPM(took 8 tries to make it work). I cannot imagine trying to steer without power assist on 15 miles+ of twisty dirt roads with rocks and ruts trying to yank the steering wheel out of my hands every few feet. Even on smooth asphalt it could get tiring without assist and 2.2 turns.
All in all though the benefit to a rally car is that it is much easier to catch slides at higher speeds. This is what makes the quickener worthwhile. For road racing where fast means smooth and scubbing as little speed as possible is the way to go(opposite lock is not the fastest way around a track), I would probably not install a quickener. For autocrossing where tight slaloms and quick direction changes can be a real problem, I would try a quickener with power assist.

My 2 cents.

George
Attached Images  

Last edited by gkd; 11-20-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Quickener