Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Backing Plate

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Backing Plate

hey guys,

is it worth replacing #8? yesterday i hired one of my personal mechanics to replace my rear brake drums. knuckle head brought some newbie head with him and let him do the other side. he smashed the back braking plate up! the side that my mechanic did had no marks.

let me ask you guys, should you guys sweat it? if i do the work myself, i would be very careful. **** heads out there just doesn't care for others. i hate it when people banged up on my car. i noticed today that fool made a mark on one of my rims!
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Backing Plate

oh, and another question. if i wanted to replace it, how do i prevent making marks on the drum? what type of tools do you guys use to make the drums slide off easily?

it's easy to learn the front brakes, but very hard to learn the rear brakes. a friend helped me replaced it 2 years ago, it was my first time too replacing rear drums.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Why do you care about making marks on the drums? Are they painted or somethin? They are pretty durable. Usually when the are stuck you just take a hammer to em. Is the backing plate badly damaged? Or just some knicks? I wouldn't worry about it if, its not getting in the way of any of the braking mechanism.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Why do you care about making marks on the drums? Are they painted or somethin? They are pretty durable. Usually when the are stuck you just take a hammer to em. Is the backing plate badly damaged? Or just some knicks? I wouldn't worry about it if, its not getting in the way of any of the braking mechanism.
luckily the drums match with the BBP. it's not that noticeable unless you look real close.

i just hate it when parts of the car get banged up. if it's a car i don't like then i can careless about it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
New User

Banging on drums works if they're rusted to the hub, but usually the problem is rust buildup on the edge of the drum where the shoes don't ride. That ridge of rust catches on the shoes so the drum won't come off without prying on it. That's how the backing plate gets bent. All that's important is to bend the lip back so it doesn't rub on the drum. You'll notice that lip sits inside a groove around the outer perimeter of the drum. That's called the "labyrinth seal". It's purpose is to keep dirt and water out. It's almost unheard of for that lip to look like new for the entire life of the car. What didn't get bent will eventually get rusty.

Replacing the backing plate for a few little dents or scrapes would equate to replacing your wiper arms because bugs splattered against them.

caradiodoc