Notices

How to replace distributor - Walkthrough?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Close to West Chester, PA, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 How to replace distributor - Walkthrough?

Looking for a walkthrough on how to replace a distributor. 1990 Civic CRX HF.

I found http://www.angelfire.com/ca/DrOhm/di...torRepair.html in the FAQ, but my main concern is that I am not just removing, and putting back, but replacing the unit.

Good news is, everything works, but I just came across a new unit for a great price, and I've read of increases in MPG, etc, and it's good to have a spare. I'd like to remove my OEM unit and keep it as a spare, and put the new unit in.

How do I make sure that I do not affect timing? I imagine I should buy a new cap and rotor (my existing ones are new, less than 5k on them, but might as well keep everything 'together'). I imagine I need to make sure the rotor is pointing the same way as the removed unit, and to scribe exactly the position of the distributor prior to removal. I have read that they can be titled/rotated to affect timing (measured in degrees), but have never needed it done.

Is it okay to assume that I'll be able to just 'turn' the new distributor rotor into the position of the old one, and then just put the new distributor into the exact same position (scribed with a sharp object or sharpie) and be good?

Thank you for your input, or pics!!

p3
Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: How to replace distributor - Walkthrough?

notch your current distributor. then notch and identical mark on the new distributor. or you can take some measurements, see how much of the mounting tab overlaps the other.

or just adjust your timing so its identical to what you currently have
Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put it in tdc for reference get a sharpie and mark were the dizzy is on (mounting bracket) and install new dizzy in the same spot were you marked and you should be set. ps if your cap is already off then you might want to look at you rotor for reference so you do not put it in 180 defrees backwards other than that there is not much to it. i would still ust a timing light to see that i am at 16 degrees because if you are not it can effect gas milage. the trick i told you is just to get it super close
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Close to West Chester, PA, United States of America

I do not have a timing light or practice using one. Maybe I should rent one from Autozone/etc? Is it self explanatory on how to use it?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phoenix_iii
I do not have a timing light or practice using one. Maybe I should rent one from Autozone/etc? Is it self explanatory on how to use it?
well in order to use a timing light all you have to do is hook it up it need power so it has a positive and a ground (those go to the battery) the other lead goes on the number one spark plug (closest to the t belt) if you have no adjustments on the timing light just line up the marks found on the crank pulley to the notch on the tbelt cover that is covered in the manual but the lights should look like this on the crank

i i i i

white red white tdc(white)

get it on the red line