Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Horn went off by itself when the car was parked

Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Horn went off by itself when the car was parked

Hello everyone! (this is my first post)
The car is Honda Civic 1993, currently not sure about the specific model. The horn went off by itself when the car was parked. Could you tell me how can I fix this? In case the solution is not so simple, could you give some provisional resolutions like instructions on "how to disconnect the horn" to prevent that from happening again?

I found information that such thing can happen when the temperature drops. Still that doesn't help much.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Horn went off by itself when the car was parked

does it have an airbag? it may have collapsed keeping the circuit live ( making horn go off)

if it bugs you alot just unplug the horn and keep an air operated blow horn for a just incase incident.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaCivic1993
Hello everyone! (this is my first post)
The car is Honda Civic 1993, currently not sure about the specific model. The horn went off by itself when the car was parked. Could you tell me how can I fix this? In case the solution is not so simple, could you give some provisional resolutions like instructions on "how to disconnect the horn" to prevent that from happening again?

I found information that such thing can happen when the temperature drops. Still that doesn't help much.
For now just unplug the fuse I guess...
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole987
if it bugs you alot just unplug the horn ...
Plug located very close to the actual horn(s). Horns are located behind the front bumper cover likely near your radiator.

Originally Posted by kozanatos
For now just unplug the fuse I guess...
Fuse-box located under the hood. Individual fuse positions are identified on fuse-box cover.

I agree with either one of these responses (especially the fuse one unless it controls a variety of accessories on the same circuit). You probably should start tracing out the wires looking for a potential shorts along the way. Also, make sure to check the horn buttons themselves. You may also need to figure out if there is a security system installed in some manner or another (because it could be a botched install).

Things don't magically turn on and off without incident. If a short occurred, something must have bumped the wire (i.e. a blast of wind may have hit the car jarring it enough) but something must have happened to cause the incident.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM
New User

Thank you all. I'll look into these solutions.

Actually, I already tried to remove the fuse, but on the chart I didn't see one for the horn. It should be named just "horn", right? No special names or symbols for that (forgive my ignorance, but I am a female and English is my second language, i.e. am not good in auto-terminology)

As far as what cause it to go off: When I parked it, nothing was wrong with it. A few hours later the temperature dropped significantly. Could that be the cause? Also, a neighbor told me that sometimes the horn goes off early in the morning ~5 o clock, when the temperature usually drops.

Also, the light on my dashboard can't turn on when it's cold outside.
Could these two issues be connected?

PS. I'm pretty sure there is no alarm system.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I already tried to remove the fuse...
Sometimes, there are more things ran with the horn power circuitry (because it is commonplace to switch negative ground for car electronics). Therefore, you may (still not sure) not have a fuse that is dedicated solely to the horn.

Also, a neighbor told me that sometimes the horn goes off early in the morning ~5 o clock, when the temperature usually drops...Also, the light on my dashboard can't turn on when it's cold outside.
Could these two issues be connected?
Yes, the issues could very well be connected. It seems to me that there is definitely an electrical problem that needs to be tracked down. The horn fuse may be labeled "STOP, HORN". If this is correct for you, then that fuse circuit is important (it is required for your brake lights), therefore you may not be able to pull it out if you want to drive the vehicle.

This will not fix the problem, but unplug the horn so as not to annoy your neighbors (see below for a generic picture of the horn(s) to unplug).

Name:  2009-09-17_134358_horn.gif
Views: 9193
Size:  6.3 KB
Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
New User

@ Simkin314, thank you!