Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAR WILL NOT WARM UP!!! same problem with old motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR WILL NOT WARM UP!!! same problem with old motor

okay so about a year ago a guy did a gsr swap into my eg and when we finally got it running the fan wasnt turning on when it was supposed to...so he did some bullshit and cut a wire on my harness and put it together with another...i was watchen him but i didnt know anything about it and it made it so much fan was on at all times whenever i turn my key to the on position.... last year it always took forever for my gsr to warm up in the winter but in the summer it was fine...and then i got in a car accident and the block chipped off where the bracket goes in so i got a jdm d15b and swapped that in and everything runs good except now that its winter it will never warm up....so im guessing its because i have the same harness and whatever he did to it that keeps my fan on is making my motor stay cold...but would the fan being on really not let it warm up?? it only warms up if i go like 80 on the freeway for a constant like 15 minutes but it will never reach where its supposed to...and if im not doing that then it stays below the Cold line.

what do you thinks causing it??? do you think since he put whatever wires together to keep the fan on at all times it keeps the thermostat or something open to always let coolant pump through the motor??? ill drive for over an hour around the streets and it wont heat up.

please help!!!!!

thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CAR WILL NOT WARM UP!!! same problem with old motor

You need to straighten out that wiring issue then check your thermostat.

The thermostat will only open when the coolant needs to be circulated. It is a mechanical device, no wiring involved with its operation.

Sounds like your thermo is probably stuck open and may need replacing.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i was you i would chec the uper hose after the car has been runing for 10 -15 mins if it feels warm and the hose is under pressure chec the lower hose off the rad. if that hose is warm and is firm then the therMO. is working as it should . depending on that, you can see if your heat blows . did it b4 the d swap? and just un plug the fan and see if it fixes the probleM???
Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

itll be so cold after running the car for 5 minutes even tho its not warmed up ill turn on the heat and itll blow just enough heat but it wont let the car warm up at alll...if i dont put on the heat the needle will go just up to the line or a tad bit over the line if that. but right when i turn the heat on the needle drops back down to completely cold because its taking the heat off the motor i guess... yeah maybe ill just unplug my fan...and see if that helps because the fan doesnt need to be on in the winter anyway right?
Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because your fan is on, it shouldn't keep your car from warming up. Try replacing your thermostat. Its a cheap fix and should work. It shouldn't cost anymore then $10 but make sure you get the gasket too. Mine was stuck open and never let it heat up, sounds exactly like the problem your having.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any luck?