Notices

Fill Manual Transmission Fluid... Stripped Filler Bolt

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fill Manual Transmission Fluid... Stripped Filler Bolt

1990 Civic. Removed halfshafts and repaired those and in the progess, tranny fluid spilled everywhere. Figured I'd change it anyway. Took out the drain bolt and the rest spilled and when I looked at the filler bolt, someone before me must have went to town with that bolt! The head was stripped bad and tighter than the 33 ft. lbs it called for. Friends and I messed with it for about an hour and won't budge and the head of the bolt is stripped bad. Was like that from before. Won't move.

So anyway, here's my situation. The car is ready to go, but has no fluid for the manual transmission. Can NOT remove the filler bolt to fill it there. And I hope I can pour fluid in somewhere else in order to be able to drive this again without buying a new tranmission or taking it out and getting it to a machine shop. Really don't wanna take it out of the car.

What can I do? Can I fill it with the fluid it calls for somewhere else? Thanks.

Stock 90 Civic.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 AM
New User

Default Re: Fill Manual Transmission Fluid... Stripped Filler Bolt

Is it possible to fill it from where the speedometer cable is? Just pull that out and fill it with 2 quarts of 10W-30 like it calls for? Please help, gotta get this stuff done asap
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM

yes i fill my h2b ys1 tranny through the speedo everytime you just need a long *** funnel with a tip that fits in da speedo..but i always pull my fill and watch for when it starts to come out to tell if im full.. and i think my tranny takes a lil more then 2 quarts but im not quite sure cause i havent touched my car for like 5 months(its winter)..if 2 quarts is the oem capacity of your tranny then go for it..
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what he said. pull the vss out and fill it through there. i do it this way because it's just easier than going sideways through the fill hole.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your into a little work there is a plug under your starter that i have pulled out and poured it into there and i watch threw the fill hole for it to come out
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've always used the little breather hole on top of the tranny. takes a while, but i don't have to take of anything to get to it. just use a small tube and squeeze.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
New User

Thanks guys. Well first off, that filler bolt is NOT coming out unless it gets to a machine shop. Pipe wrench, regular wrenches and anything and no budge. WD-40 sprayed didn't help either. The head of the bolt is so stripped anyway so I'm giving up there.

Anyway, here is what I have done. I took out the drain bolt (the one where you just use a 3/8 ratchet and loosen it that way) and let all the fluid drain out. It's all dry... no more fluid.

Now I took the speedo cable off (see pic) but I cannot get oil in there. Just spilled all over the place.

PIC - http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7731/pic1pp.jpg

So as of now, sitting here with filler bolt stripped and won't move, speedo cable disconnected and no fluid in tranny (all fluid drained).

So here's my question... if I leave the drain bolt out and fill it through an opening, once I pour it in, will all the fluid travel down and exit out the drain bolt hole?? Because just so I'm sure it will be lubricated, I was thinking of pouring some fluid in somewhere and just to be sure it gets there, leave the drain plug out and if everything goes right, it should drip right down where the drain plug is. And if that works, then put the plug back on, and fill it up with the 2 quarts. *I know nothing about manual transmissions*

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL!
you don't need to take the speedo cable out.
It's the gear drive (people call it a VSS, but it's not) that the cable plugs into.

If all else fails, take an axle out and fill the tranny until oil just starts to spill out. That's properly full.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've solved this before by welding a large nut to the fill bolt head. Came off with wrench and long breaker bar.

--Andy
Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4drEF
LOL!
you don't need to take the speedo cable out.
It's the gear drive (people call it a VSS, but it's not) that the cable plugs into.

If all else fails, take an axle out and fill the tranny until oil just starts to spill out. That's properly full.
just like he says.. you should be taking out the speedo cable gear drive and just leave the cable connected to it..most gear drives use one 10 mm bolt to hold them in place, that bolt is located at the base of the drive where it hits the tranny.i usually had to use a 10mm socket with a long extension and a swivel to get that bolt out.. once you get the bolt out just pull up on the drive with the cable connected to it and slightly wiggle and it will pull right out and reveal a 3/4" hole or so.. then you can FILL with a funnel..and dont worry about leavin the drain plug out to check if oil gets there unless you realllly wanna be sure but any oil put in the tranny from the speedo or the tiny breather all makes it to your gears and will do the job..
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol it looks like your speedo came apart, try and pull out the sensor its self, youll have a nice opening to get a hose and filler up (been filling honda trannys like this for years now)

theres a flat head groove you should be able to slip a flathead in and pry it up and down till you can remove it fully.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! This si funny stuff. But yea if you cannot get the VSS out (one 10mm bolt and its off with a pull) Then take off the Reverse light sensor (two wires coming off it) and fill it through there. I would use syncromesh fluid but that is up to you.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beansandrice
LOL! This si funny stuff. But yea if you cannot get the VSS out (one 10mm bolt and its off with a pull) Then take off the Reverse light sensor (two wires coming off it) and fill it through there. I would use syncromesh fluid but that is up to you.
Yea, gm synchromesh, same price as oil but better for your tranny
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i Have the same problem i still cant get the oil in i need help asap!!! can i do it threw the axel???
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude has no one ever taken out their reverse light switch?! its big, easy to remove and gives u easy access.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nphonda91
i Have the same problem i still cant get the oil in i need help asap!!! can i do it threw the axel???
pop off the axle,lift the car up on one side like the dukes of hazard and fill up tranny with fluid through driveshaft
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by adamyee
dude has no one ever taken out their reverse light switch?! its big, easy to remove and gives u easy access.
x2 THIS!!! I always fill through the reverse switch, it's so easy.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL.... I can't believe nobody suggest the right thing to do....
Go to Autozone buy the bolt extractor set kit
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=532381
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shawn_crx
LOL.... I can't believe nobody suggest the right thing to do....
Go to Autozone buy the bolt extractor set kit
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=532381
Here at Honda-Tech, we don't like going to Vatozone. We prefer to ghetto rig the **** out of everything first. Then when all else fails go to Vatozone with your head bowed in shame.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the speedo sender gear out and fill it up and be done with it
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reverse switch!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont mean to be an a$$ but you guys dont think. Its been about 8 mos...... Dont you think he got oil in his trans by now?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont mean to be an a$$ but you guys dont think. Its been about 8 mos...... Dont you think he got oil in his trans by now?
LMAO I just notice, blame the guy that bump the thread.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 907civic
just like he says.. you should be taking out the speedo cable gear drive and just leave the cable connected to it..most gear drives use one 10 mm bolt to hold them in place, that bolt is located at the base of the drive where it hits the tranny.i usually had to use a 10mm socket with a long extension and a swivel to get that bolt out.. once you get the bolt out just pull up on the drive with the cable connected to it and slightly wiggle and it will pull right out and reveal a 3/4" hole or so.. then you can FILL with a funnel..and dont worry about leavin the drain plug out to check if oil gets there unless you realllly wanna be sure but any oil put in the tranny from the speedo or the tiny breather all makes it to your gears and will do the job..
i wouldnt do this it even says in the maunal that if you remove that bolt the pinion could drop in he transmission, take the starter off and do it that way, its a 19mm plug and its in the top, this is how i do it with no problems what so ever, its a little extra work but youll get around fooling with a stripped bolt
Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by singlecamsaint
i wouldnt do this it even says in the maunal that if you remove that bolt the pinion could drop in he transmission, take the starter off and do it that way, its a 19mm plug and its in the top, this is how i do it with no problems what so ever, its a little extra work but youll get around fooling with a stripped bolt
Why do all that when you can just do
Originally Posted by bgdriver
reverse switch!
?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fill Manual Transmission Fluid... Stripped Filler Bolt