Notices

88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

alright brotha's last week when i was leaving work i went to put my foot on the clutch to put it in gear and come to find out were my clutch mounts up to the metal frame bracket under the dash had snapped.

i had found a great thread or two on this with excellent pics and with the location of all the bolt locations and what not. i have all the bolts off the gas peddle removed and the bracket is just hanging. i can't seem to get it out and tried countless times and i'm beyond the point of frustration and may consider pushing my car to the corner for a mechanic to do it for me, which is very rare for me to do.

Any ideas or suggestions of what it could be guys?

my steering wheel is dropped to the floor
my driver seat is removed
all 7 bolts are removed
the break peddle is removed from the break booster
my gas peddle is off of the bracket and is sitting on my passenger floor.

ANY IDEAS OR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

BUMP.. i really need my car. i'm tired of always find a car to borrow for work. Hellllp
Old 06-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

Morning Bump....need help bad people
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I talked to one of my buddies and he thinks it may be the clutch sensor thing that you need to engage to start your car. i just hope i'm able to see it cause i haven't be able to see it prior to this when i was looking to see what could have been holding it up. i removed the break sensor piece the first time around so we'll see.

STILL seeking any thought or input on this guys.. THANKS
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... did you remove the cable from the clutch pedel (I can't spell this morning) from it? It connects the clutch lever to the transmission housing. It will be on the very end of the pedel itself. (not where you press the other side) let me know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's the clutch safety switch and the brake light switches, have you unhooked those?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

Originally Posted by DCRB
there's the clutch safety switch and the brake light switches, have you unhooked those?
The brake light switch yes! as for the clutch safety switch no! i think thats where i'm at right now. i wont be able to get to my car till tomorrow to work on it cause that's my day off.

do you know where about the switch is. i mean, i have a good idea on the general area cause of the clutch and all but yea other then that....

thanks for the help and shinning light on this!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

Originally Posted by shyguy4no1
Ok... did you remove the cable from the clutch pedel (I can't spell this morning) from it? It connects the clutch lever to the transmission housing. It will be on the very end of the pedel itself. (not where you press the other side) let me know how it goes.
no worries.. yea i removed both the clutch and brake cables off of the pedals. i think its the clutch safety switch as mentioned below. i'll try and locate it tomorrow and take care of it. CROSSING MY FINGERS!!

thanks for the help
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh man, I just got done doing all of this on my car.

I removed the dash, disconnected all the harnesses, dropped the steering column, and removed all the bolts on the pedal assembly.

Then I got stuck on the clutch pedal. I went to my clutch adjustment cable and loosened that as far as I can, then I went back inside the cabin and finally was unable to hook the clutch cable from the pedal assembly.

I also forgot about the gas pedal and the cable from that. Once I figured out to remove that, I thought I was free. No, I was wrong. I looked at the brake system and unbolted the where the sensor connects to, twisted that out and it was still stuck. Then I realized you have to undo the brake booster kind of. I had to take the cotter pin out and push the rod through and then I was finally able to finagle the pedal assembly out.

I didn't have a clutch sensor safety switch, and my car is a 1988 Civic DX. This is what my pedal assembly looked like and after I had the pedal welded.

Last edited by Gonzob16; 06-23-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DCRB
Civic/CRX models didn't have a clutch switch in '88. The parts catalog doesn't list a clutch switch until the '89 model year for Civic hatch and sedan, and the '90 model year for the CRX and Civic wagon.

Edit: Looks like the only exception is the CRX HF, which had a clutch switch in '88 and '89 that wasn't used for a starter inhibitor system but instead used for the HF-exclusive upshift indicator IIRC.

Last edited by Targa250R; 06-23-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Civic/CRX models didn't have a clutch switch in '88. The parts catalog doesn't list a clutch switch until the '89 model year for Civic hatch and sedan, and the '90 model year for the CRX and Civic wagon.

Edit: Looks like the only exception is the CRX HF, which had a clutch switch in '88 and '89 that wasn't used for a starter inhibitor system but instead used for the HF-exclusive upshift indicator IIRC.
sweet thanks a lot for the info. i guess the clutch cable got caught back onto the clutch pedal when i was going to take it out. really weird! thanks again for ever ones help!!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: 88 Crx dx stuck on removing Clutch assembly under the dash *I SEARCHED*

Originally Posted by Gonzob16
Oh man, I just got done doing all of this on my car.

I removed the dash, disconnected all the harnesses, dropped the steering column, and removed all the bolts on the pedal assembly.

Then I got stuck on the clutch pedal. I went to my clutch adjustment cable and loosened that as far as I can, then I went back inside the cabin and finally was unable to hook the clutch cable from the pedal assembly.

I also forgot about the gas pedal and the cable from that. Once I figured out to remove that, I thought I was free. No, I was wrong. I looked at the brake system and unbolted the where the sensor connects to, twisted that out and it was still stuck. Then I realized you have to undo the brake booster kind of. I had to take the cotter pin out and push the rod through and then I was finally able to finagle the pedal assembly out.

I didn't have a clutch sensor safety switch, and my car is a 1988 Civic DX. This is what my pedal assembly looked like and after I had the pedal welded.

thanks for you help with this and how you did it! and for the pics too
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, well now I brakes are stuck and I gotta figure out that problem now.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean by, your brakes being stuck?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzob16
Yeah, well now I brakes are stuck and I gotta figure out that problem now.
If all of your brakes are hanging up, you probably need to adjust the master cylinder pushrod.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think I need to adjust that, I need to let the vacuum out of the booster, and then bring the master cylinder push rod towards the brake pedal. It's been shitty out so I really haven't been working on the car to get back in this thread. Plus, I need to get my Brake Pedal Stopper from Honda so my brake lights will turn off :p