Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 Accord transmission problem

Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord transmission problem

I was given a 1992 Accord EX with a auto trans.

I changed my Transmission fluid yesterday. it was NOT the first time it was changed but it was past due. I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. also i was recently informed that Honda's do have a transmission filter didn't know there was a transmission filter and wouldn't have any idea where it is at. my mom drove it to work yesterday and the whole way to work it didn't shift out of first gear. On her way home she was able to manually shift it. at first only into 2nd gear and drove it like that for a while. she was finally able to get it into 4th. it shifted normally for a while. she shut it off to get gas and the rest of the way home it didn't shift again PLEASE HELP ME!!! i am hoping that maybe it is electrical NOT the clutches.

before i changed the fluid it was starting to having problems. over time the light around the D4 indicator was taking longer to go out as in telling me there was a code or something. before i changed the fluid i was driving home and it wasn't shifting into 4th because the D4 light was still on and suddenly the car revved up to 6,000 rpm. i stopped the car, put it in park sat there for a min and got back on the road, and it shifted fine the rest of the way home.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Accord transmission problem

First, they do not have a filter that is serviceable from the outside. The filter is on the inside and only replaceable during an overhaul.

Second, the D4 light tells you that there is a problem and the Transmission Control Unit (TCM) wants to tell you about it. It might be electrical, but you will need to check and see what the code is. Under the passengers side outside kick panel is a blue connector - take the panel off (it is where the right foot would be and it is on clips - just pull) and dig around for it... it looks like it should be plugged into something, but it isn't. Jumper it with a paper clip and count the number of times that the D4 light blinks when you put the car in run (without starting it). Post the number back here or google search for for the TCU code.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdadams12
First, they do not have a filter that is serviceable from the outside. The filter is on the inside and only replaceable during an overhaul.

Second, the D4 light tells you that there is a problem and the Transmission Control Unit (TCM) wants to tell you about it. It might be electrical, but you will need to check and see what the code is. Under the passengers side outside kick panel is a blue connector - take the panel off (it is where the right foot would be and it is on clips - just pull) and dig around for it... it looks like it should be plugged into something, but it isn't. Jumper it with a paper clip and count the number of times that the D4 light blinks when you put the car in run (without starting it). Post the number back here or google search for for the TCU code.
thank you for your quick reply. thank you for making sure i knew where the blue connector was but i have checked codes before. I did that a few mins ago, and got Check Engine codes and ABS codes but the D4 light didn't flash at all. it just stayed solid. a friend of mine that is a Honda tech (i used to work with him) said he thinks the computer went bad.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE!!!

i replaced the TCU and the first thing i noticed was the light actually went off when it was supposed to. i took it on a test drive and it shifted into all 4 gears like it was supposed to, so it was NOT the clutches but the computer.