Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2007 Accord stiff steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 2007 Accord stiff steering wheel

My 2007 Accord steering is very stiff since I bought it in 2010. I didn't realize it until I drove another vehicle (same model). I made it checked with the dealer but they couldn't find any issues (no leaks or nothing special). Last couple of months it got even worse. Lately I noticed the steering wheel is shaking at higher speed (above 70 mph).
Is the Rack and Pinion gone bad ?? If so, does it cover under Powertrain warranty (non-powertrain warranty expired 2 months ago)
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Accord stiff steering wheel

Did the dealership bother checking the power steering fluid pressure to see if the lines clogged or otherwise being obstructed, or did they just look for leaks?

Also, have you done any suspension modifications? Are you using the stock wheels and tires?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Trial User

Thanks for the response 'It Wasn't Me'.
I believe they checked just for the leaks. I was running a chevy corsica bfr getting onto this car and I got convinced when the dealer mentioned that the steering would be a little stiff bcz the engine is v6 (weight).
No modifications have been done on any part.
Can you suggest what answers should I seek from the dealer if I go for diagnostics?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by backbenchboy
I believe they checked just for the leaks.
Figures. Shine a flashlight around and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

I was running a chevy corsica bfr getting onto this car and I got convinced when the dealer mentioned that the steering would be a little stiff bcz the engine is v6 (weight).
But you said that you drove another Accord which was the same model, and the steering felt lighter than yours? To me, that would indicate something wrong with the power steering.

Can you suggest what answers should I seek from the dealer if I go for diagnostics?
Only that they test the pressure in the power steering lines to verify that the pump is working at full capacity and that a hose isn't pinched or obstructed in some way.

As for the vibration you mentioned in your first post. . have you had the alignment checked? Wheels checked for proper balance? Do your front brakes drag? I'd also have a look at the tie rod ends, end links, etc. (steering and stability components)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Op balance wheels, and get a alignment if needed.

Ask dealer to pressure test power steering lines and system.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the suggestions 'Kev2010' and 'It Wan't Me'. There wasn't any sign of leaks. Wheel alignment and balance (3 months ago) did work a little but the stiff steering didn't go away altogether. It gotten worse recently.

Anyway, it was time for tire change and I get 'em changed last week. At the same time, I went for wheel alignment as well (ofcourse tire balancing too). To my surprise, now steering is so light and it's not pulling to any side. I'm happy with the end result but I have to see if stiff steering comes back again as time goes.

One question though, when my car travels on a straight road, steering wheel is tilted (10-15 degrees) to right side. Is it the result of pulling effect to the left all these last few months? Does it can be straightened easily or costs a lot ? If it is an expensive fix, I can live with it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your steering is dead straight, I am guessing it pulls to the left ?

First, check your cold tire pressure (in the morning when car was
sitting for 5 hours +) Make sure they are on factory specs. 32 psi
Front and 29 psi back. Then see if your steering is still same.

If it's same...
You just got new tires, with alignment and balanced, you should be driving
straight with steering dead centered. They didn't do perfect job. I am sure
that shop has warranty on the alignment service, take it back tell them your
steering is little off.

Alignment numbers maybe in factory specs but there's chance that you
could still pull. There's always factors of bad tires, bad installation, road
crowned to the right and etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions 'Kev2010' and 'It Wan't Me'. There wasn't any sign of leaks. Wheel alignment and balance (3 months ago) did work a little but the stiff steering didn't go away altogether. It gotten worse recently.

Anyway, it was time for tire change and I get 'em changed last week. At the same time, I went for wheel alignment as well (ofcourse tire balancing too). To my surprise, now steering is so light and it's not pulling to any side. I'm happy with the end result but I have to see if stiff steering comes back again as time goes.

One question though, when my car travels on a straight road, steering wheel is tilted (10-15 degrees) to right side. Is it the result of pulling effect to the left all these last few months? Does it can be straightened easily or costs a lot ? If it is an expensive fix, I can live with it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Trial User

You are right. Car steers to the left with steering wheel straight. If the tire pressures are good I'll go back for the alignment redo.

Originally Posted by drunkpark
If your steering is dead straight, I am guessing it pulls to the left ?

First, check your cold tire pressure (in the morning when car was
sitting for 5 hours +) Make sure they are on factory specs. 32 psi
Front and 29 psi back. Then see if your steering is still same.

If it's same...
You just got new tires, with alignment and balanced, you should be driving
straight with steering dead centered. They didn't do perfect job. I am sure
that shop has warranty on the alignment service, take it back tell them your
steering is little off.

Alignment numbers maybe in factory specs but there's chance that you
could still pull. There's always factors of bad tires, bad installation, road
crowned to the right and etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Trial User

I recommend changing the steering fluid. First of all, drain the fluid from the power steering reservoir with a turkey baster. Seriously. Just suck it up and put into an empty water bottle or milk gallon jug. Do it until you get to the bottom opening, but leave enough fluid in there that you don't get any air in the line.

Then add just a little bit of new power steering fluid. Just a tiny bit, enough to maybe cover what is remaining and increase it about a quarter inch in the reservoir. Then close the reservoir, hop into the driver's seat, turn the car so it doesn't start, but you can move the steering wheel. Then turn the wheel all the way to the right, and when it clicks, move it back to the middle again/wheels straight. Turn off. Get out and suck out the fluid again and put some new back in. Go back in, turn (but don't start the engine), and turn to the left all the way. You might hear some awful noises, but as long as you do this quickly it'll be okay. Turn back to the middle/wheels straight. Turn off. Get out and suck out all of the old fluid, and refill the reservoir with new fluid.

Honda has its own steering fluid and it isn't universal. I recommend the following: Pyroil from Valvoline