Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Fortune Auto 500 series Coilover Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fortune Auto 500 series Coilover Review

I was in the market for a coilover system, but I had a fairly strict budget because I had just purchased a house and two cars this year. So this narrowed my search down to a few different brands mostly under $1500 price range. I had originally owned a 1991 Toyota MR2 which I had joined a group buy for Fortune Auto coilovers because I had heard many good things from other platforms, however, during the group buy I had sold my MR2 and purchased an s2000. I was still very interested in this company's coilover product but had noticed that there were not many reviews or anything in the s2000 community.

So this thread will be my review of the coilover system and give those who have not heard of this company another option in their coilover selection.

I purchased my coilovers directly from Fortune Auto themselves. Their website is www.fortune-auto.net , overall my experience while dealing with the company was excellent, emails and questions were answered very quickly and they were very friendly.

MSRP $$ 1099.00 for most applications

On to the coilovers, the 500 series is the bottom line coilover that Fortune offers. Here are the coilover specs from Fortune Auto:

Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilover Specs
DIGRESSIVE* All Fortune Auto shocks use a superior DIGRESSIVE piston. This technology allows for stiff, progressive (linear) damping at low stroke speeds. This helps to control vehicle body motion like roll, dive and squat. However at fast stroke speeds (i.e. high speed bumps) the suspension is kept supple in response to bumps and irregularities in the road.

Dyno tested***
Mono-tube shock design
IP synthetic 5w or 10w shock oil (prevents cavitation and promotes superior heat dissipation)
Stainless steel body / piston
30-way adjustable dampers
Pillowball mounts
Forged aluminum locking collars
Dust boots on all pistons
Digressive* 50mm piston-57mm piston housing (beyond the industry standard of 44-47mm)
Anodized aluminum camber plates** on front upper-mounts
Fully anodized body
1 year Manufacturer's Warranty
Height adjustment independent of preload
ISO 9002 certification

***Every Fortune Auto coilover is extensively dyno tested and matched with in specifications to insure a consistent and uniform set of coilovers. This rigorous testing has earned us our ISO certification.

Furthermore we incorporate features only found on our coilovers such as Seamless stainless steel monotubes, Forged lower mounts & proprietary nitrogen gas chambers

Fortune Auto also provides a shock dyno for the coilovers:

Now I had read as much as I could on the coilovers from other communities such as the evo community and also the 240sx community. Every review I had read had been positive and I could not find one bad review, this peaked my interest so I decided to place my order.

Now for my order I opted to go with 10k/10k spring rates Front/Rear, which you have the option of changing between 6k-13k. This is how they came packaged up:

The packaging was very nice, from order to shipping only took 5 days, which is very good considering it came across the border into Canada.

I did the install in a couple of hours in my tiny garage on jack stands, it was a very easy and straight forward install. Here are a couple pictures comparing the stock struts with the fortunes and also some pictures of it installed:

These were installed on my 2006 s2000 w/ 36,000 kms, there were no seized nuts/bolts or anything so the install went very quickly.

For quick reference the torque specs for the top nuts are 36 ft/lbs, the bottom strut bolt is 47 ft/lbs and the Top suspension arm in the front is 75.9 ft/lbs.

I lowered the car ~2" and I am on the stock ap2 v2 wheels without rolled fenders, I have zero rubbing issues and the ride is beyond my expectations. I had driven in other vehicles that had aftermarket coilovers including cusco, buddy club, and ksport and none had driven as well as these Fortunes do. I set them to 23 clicks from soft all around and they make you feel planted, yet they absorb the bumps and dips amazingly well. They are also not bone jarring or bouncy. I would say that they ride better than stock.

I have not had the chance to get to the track with these coilovers, but I have been daily driving them for the past week and a half and they are superb for everyday driving. With the planted feel on the street I can only imagine that they will be great on the track, which I will add my input next year when the track season is open again.

Now for some pictures of the ride height before and after,

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Any questions about these coilovers don't hesitate to ask, I would recommend them to anyone and purchase them again, especially for their price point. People on other platforms even claim that they ride as nice as KW V3s.

Last edited by macman123; 10-03-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fortune Auto 500 series Coilover Review

coolio thanx. i tried t research these about 3 years back and couldn't find anything. deff going into my option pool

p.s. update back in a month or so tell us whats up
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most definitely, I could not find anything in our community about them but I am glad I decided to go with them, they are beefy looking and feel like they are high quality. I will continue to update with opinions on them.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea way to bite the bullet i decided to go with teins back then cause i got a good deal. now im in the market again
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please post your track experience with them. Thank You!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised you didn't consider or buy PSS9's and for $200 more you were in KWV3 territory.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those look chinese
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Picking up a set soon. Any idea who offers these at the low price?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RED_90TEG
those look chinese
Thought so too... Where are these manufactured? Parent company info?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We just tuned their time attack car on saturday and got to talk to terry who runs fortune auto. He said every set is made to order in house. I have no clue where the individual components are made but Ive been pretty happy with fortune auto coilovers in our shop cars.. and Im a bit of a coil over *****

http://www.fortune-auto.net/
Old 10-25-2011, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have these on my daily not my s2000 and the preloads seized on all 4 corners, the rear driver side is blown in less than a year and the top mounts where there camber adjustment is has rusted. They bounce around a lot also...I just got the normal spring rates that were offered.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ irrelavent cause they were not on a s2k and have no idea how u set them up. Everyone always comPlains about seizing what do u expect from aluminum on aluminum that's exposed to the elements? U should always lube all that **** up. I did this on my past set of coilovers and had no problems with anything seizing.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol if you say so buddy, just adding my .02. Illl remember about lubing them up next time I buy a set of with preloads and make sure I take them apart, lube them, then put them back together.

Originally Posted by Black S2K
^ irrelavent cause they were not on a s2k and have no idea how u set them up. Everyone always comPlains about seizing what do u expect from aluminum on aluminum that's exposed to the elements? U should always lube all that **** up. I did this on my past set of coilovers and had no problems with anything seizing.