Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2001 honda accord idle problem!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 honda accord idle problem!

Hello,
I just finished replacing the engine in a 2001 Honda accord with another stock engine. I have ran in to a problem that has me stumped. The first thing I noticed was when i turn the car on to ignition 2 all the door open lights are on as well as the emergency brake light. Then after I crank it over they all go away. The car will sit and idle fine while it is warming up. Then as soon as the warm up process is over the idle will start to surge. When i put the car in d4-d1 the idle is back to being normal, but it will start surging when its in neutral or park.
Some of the things that i have tried to trouble shoot is checking for vacuum leaks with a can of brake clean, which i was unable to find any. I have cleaned the aicv that is on the back of the manifold with brake clean. I have also noticed that when i unplug the alternator all the strange dash lights go away.
Any and all help with be appreciated
thanks a lot bill.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 honda accord idle problem!

make sure the figure 8 o ring on the aicv isn't smushed and possibly letting air in one of the ports or from one to the other. make sure everything including the intake manifold to head nuts are tightened nicely. could be an air leak. there could also be air in the coolant so make sure to bleed the air correctly.

mine had this problem and there was a small coolant leak in one of the small hoses
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bdmlilburn
make sure the figure 8 o ring on the aicv isn't smushed and possibly letting air in one of the ports or from one to the other. make sure everything including the intake manifold to head nuts are tightened nicely. could be an air leak. there could also be air in the coolant so make sure to bleed the air correctly.

mine had this problem and there was a small coolant leak in one of the small hoses
hmm i will check out all the coolant hoses tomorrow, thanks a lot! The lights in the gauge cluster have me really stumped, the alternator is also making 14v at idle...
Old 11-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well everything looked good... bump
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

W,

My guess is going to be air in the coolant system, also. It sounds like it idles fine until the thermostat opens (operating temp). Then the air in the lines affects the IACV reading of the engine temp (from the coolant). There are different approaches to relieving air from the system. I will let you sort through the archives here for the way that works best for you.

Apologizes if you already checked this, but it is easy to overlook. Make sure the level is full when the car is running and at operating temperature.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bdmlilburn

Originally Posted by TejasNW
W,

My guess is going to be air in the coolant system, also. It sounds like it idles fine until the thermostat opens (operating temp). Then the air in the lines affects the IACV reading of the engine temp (from the coolant). There are different approaches to relieving air from the system. I will let you sort through the archives here for the way that works best for you.

Apologizes if you already checked this, but it is easy to overlook. Make sure the level is full when the car is running and at operating temperature.
hey, thanks a lot, both of you!!! i really appreciate the help. i will continue investigating the cooling system