Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

HELP: My car bogs, when accelerating...??

Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: My car bogs, when accelerating...??

i have a 2000 Integra 5 speed, and its giving me this problem...it doesnt do it all the time, but it does do it frequently to discomfort me, it does it when im accelerating, and it suddenly bogs down, or it hesitates to flow...if anyone can help please..i also have an idle problem, not severe, but evident...

Codes it's giving me:

P0172-system too rich bank 1
P0420-Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold
P1457-System leak detected

Last edited by michjdm; 03-27-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: My car bogs, when accelerating...??

Check your plugs and distributor first.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdmTypeRdc2
Check your plugs and distributor first.
spark plugs?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are the exact codes? that's kinda important
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by el crapitan
what are the exact codes? that's kinda important
ok, they're up!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
I requested a short story for a title.

sounds like you have a vaccuum leak somewhere. If the codes you gave are correct the p1457 code is probably setting off the other two so lets start there.. is your idle bouncy or just high?

check the hoses around the intake manifold for leake first.
p1457 = set because an abnormal amount of fresh air is entering the system
p0172 = most likely set due to the amoungt of excess fuel the computer is adding to keep the engine from leaning out
p040 = the rich mixture from the extra fuel is causing the cat to not break down the exhaust gas properly

if you cant find a leak well have to go another route

Last edited by stocker2shocker91; 03-27-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had something similar happening to my car recently, but I had a lose engine ground causing my car to bog and sputter while accelerating. I know this has nothing to do with the codes being thrown but I'd check your grounds as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It never hurts to check the main grounds.

If it only bogs when engine is warmed up, not when cold, check the ECT sensor, a bad ECT sensor would let engine run rich once warmed up, [A/F ratio would not "lean out" as engine warmed up].

A vacuum leak is definatly a possibility, I use my butane torch to find vac leaks, although it should be obvious, don't light the torch, a cig. lighter will also work. 94

Last edited by fcm; 03-28-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stocker2shocker91
sounds like you have a vaccuum leak somewhere. If the codes you gave are correct the p1457 code is probably setting off the other two so lets start there.. is your idle bouncy or just high?

check the hoses around the intake manifold for leake first.
p0172 = most likely set due to the amoungt of excess fuel the computer is adding to keep the engine from leaning out
p040 = the rich mixture from the extra fuel is causing the cat to not break down the exhaust gas properly

if you cant find a leak well have to go another route

My idle is high when car is running or when I put it into neutral when preparing to stop, but when I stop completly the idle automaticaly comes down to 1000 rpm, and its steady...although sometimes it goes up and down, but that's only when preparing to stop, not when car is completly at hault. I checked with my mechanic and he told me it might be a vacuum leak, he's gonna test it with that smoke machine thing...he also pressed on the break pedal repeatedly several times, and surprinsingly the idle went up when he did that..he said it might be the booster????...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Originally Posted by michjdm
he said it might be the booster????...
The brake booster is a "vacuum" device and seals wear out. 94
Old 03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
The brake booster is a "vacuum" device and seals wear out. 94
But can that be the source of the bogging and idling problem?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Yes, even if it is not, you will want to eliminate it as a possible cause... http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm 94
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I requested a short story for a title.

i would say do the smoke test and see what happens, I have never heard of the booster causing ALL these issues but i guess it could. have your brakes been squishy or softer than normal?

stick your head down by the engine bay with the car running and listen for any unusual "sucking" noises other than normal operating sounds
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the idle is going to lower when you depress the brake pedal, and raise when you let off it. that's normal. the booster pulls vacuum from the engine. that's why idle drops when pedal's depressed.
the smoke machine isn't the best method to test for leaks, as a leak may not show up unless under vacuum. starter fluid works better, as it tests under operating condition. or it could be a collapsed line, which wouldn't show up with either method.

if you suspect the booster or it's components to be the source of a leak, just pinch off the line coming off the intake manifold leading to the booster. if the idle stabilizes, it's leaking between the manifold and the booster.
although if the booster were leaking, it would be evident with a hard pedal. that is, high pedal effort with little braking force.

try disconnecting the o2 sensor. see if idle stabilizes. by disconnecting the o2 sensor, the ecu goes into open loop, running the engine off fixed parameters. if it's a vacuum leak, the idle won't stabilize, since that's a mechanical issue. if the idle does stabilize, you've got a problem with one of the ecu's inputs
Old 03-29-2012, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, and don't just take the codes at face value.
the ecu throws codes based on the feedback it receives. that's all it knows. it's easy for it to be tricked into thinking there's a leak when it may just be an issue with one or more of its inputs. not saying that's your problem here, but it's certainly possible. especially since you say it only has the problem once operating temp is met. that tells us that it's quite possibly an input issue. since once operating temp is met, the ecu goes into closed loop feedback. disconnecting the o2 sensor will reveal this
Old 03-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a good start. but from my searches the p1457 code has to do with the bypass valve thats probably sitting right on top of your intake manifold or rear right corner of it if its obd1

p0172 is infact mostlikely due to the fact that air is running into the system... ur o2 sensor reads the oxygen from all 4 cylinders.... so lets say you had a clogged fuel injector... which you might actually have... one of ur cylinders will be pumping air into the exhaust since not enoguh fuel will be getting in there... ur o2 sensor mistakes this for all 4 cylinders having a lil bit of excess air so all 4 cylinders get more fuel until the o2 sensor is reading close to 14.7 to 1 ratio....

and the catalytic converter one is probably also related to the fuel problem so once u fix the fuel problem that problem should be gone unless its been damaged somehow...

so a vaccuum leak does look like the most likely suspect here... but it can also be a clogged fuel injector... it would essentially have the same effect... when u first start up the car on a cold start does it run better until it warms up?

there really isnt a whole buncha vaccuum lines on an integra.. its a blessing. but another place to look is the intake manifold gasket... if u replaced the intake manifold for any reason this is a common place to have a vacuum leak and not know it.

listen for any hisses... if u hear a hiss coming from a certain region block it with ur hand and see if the hiss disapears.. that would also indicate a vacuum leak...

i am leaning towards a fuel injector or vacuum issue... and the p1457 code may be a problem in itself or if i recall correctly on obd2 manifolds the valve itself is inserted into the manifold so it could be leaking from there..

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0015_large.jpg
the little black squared object sitting directly ontop of the intake manifold... there should be a hose going from that to the charcoal evap canister... but check for leaks around the valve itself and test the valve....
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can be any number of causes. maybe even an exhaust leak.
disconnecting the o2 sensor will at least narrow it down to a mechanical issue or ecu input