Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Which timing mark?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which timing mark?

I have a 94 accord with a 4 cyl. non v tec engine. I replaced my timing belt a while back and when I got ready to set my timing I noticed someone has marked all the notches on the crank pully with white paint. I think I am supposed to set it at the red mark but now I have no idea which mark was red. I have been driving the car and it runs good but when the engine is hot and there is a car beside me I can hear a very slight rattle so I think I have it set on the wrong notch. Can someone help?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Which timing mark?

There are four notches IIRC. There will be a cluster of three the center one is supposed to be the red one. Then there is a single notch by itself, this indicates TDC.

Don't forget to have the engine fully warmed up and the Blue connector under the glove box jumpered to set the timing.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
There are four notches IIRC. There will be a cluster of three the center one is supposed to be the red one. Then there is a single notch by itself, this indicates TDC.

Don't forget to have the engine fully warmed up and the Blue connector under the glove box jumpered to set the timing.
Thanks Mike,Is the red one where its supposed to be set at?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After doing some research I found that it is the center mark (red one) in the cluster of 3 that is used to set the timing. Mine was a little ways out.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes sir, the red one is for setting the ignition timing with the engine running. The white one is for lining up TDC.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dizzy is all the way advanced and I still can't get the timing set to BTDC
Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say if it is off by quite a bit. Your actual TDC timing might be off. When you are trying to line it up do you have the SCS connector shorted/jumpered?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
MM Gruppe B

My crap shot theory, slipped external damper ring, loose timing belt, or incorrectly timed timing belt.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I changed my timing belt I had tear it down 3 times before I got my cam gear in the right spot. I would be off a tooth one way and then the other. After 3 times I was just happy to be able to move the timing marks to the pointer. I did not know which one was correct to set it to though until yesterday. I got to where I can tear it down in no time know so something good did come of it. Next time I will mark the cam gear.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
I would say if it is off by quite a bit. Your actual TDC timing might be off. When you are trying to line it up do you have the SCS connector shorted/jumpered?
Yes it off by a lot, after I did my timing belt the car had no ppwer so my tempory solution was to advance tje timing which help the power loss and misfire but as I stated prior I can't get to BTDC and yes that's with scs connected,.check engine light on, car fully warmed up. I also had to get a new dizzy which was after market could that be a culprit?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
Yes it off by a lot,
How much is a lot? Do you have a timing light with an advance control? If so how much timing do you need to put into the light to get it to hit the timing mark?
after I did my timing belt the car had no ppwer so my tempory solution was to advance tje timing which help the power loss and misfire but as I stated prior I can't get to BTDC and yes that's with scs connected,.check engine light on, car fully warmed up. I also had to get a new dizzy which was after market could that be a culprit?
A few things to check.
Are you sure you have the timing light on the #1 cylinder wire? #1 is the far right cylinder, closest to the timing belt.

Check your timing light inductive pickup, does it have an arrow on it, and if so is it pointing towards the plug?

Are you positive that the timing belt is installed correctly timed with no slop in the belt?

Looking at the harmonic damper(crank pulley) where in relation to the keyway are the timing marks. Both the white TDC mark and the red base timing mark. If the outer ring has migrated/slipped on the inner hub, you will need to purchase a new damper as this is critical to keep engine harmonics at bay.

Is your lower belt cover in one piece and properly installed?
The lower cover on the '95 was mangled by a moron and had to be replaced. Even though the pointer was squared to the crank, it was still a good 4° off from the lower cover being warped and cracked.

Is the aftermarket distributor a rebuild unit? Or does it have a control box and multiple sparks.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

How much is a lot?
I'd have to go look but I recall I can't line up the notch to the red marks (BTDC) but I can get it to TDC

Do you have a timing light with an advance control? If so how much timing do you need to put into the light to get it to hit the timing mark?
My timing light is simple, I connect it to the battery and connect the magnet to #1 cylinder, there is no dial on my timing light.

A few things to check.
Are you sure you have the timing light on the #1 cylinder wire? #1 is the far right cylinder, closest to the timing belt. positive

Check your timing light inductive pickup, does it have an arrow on it, and if so is it pointing towards the plug?
The timing gun I assume is what you mean. There is no arrow it is simply connect the negative and positive leads to the battery point and shoot, again I assuming that is what you mean, if not please elaborate.

Are you positive that the timing belt is installed correctly timed with no slop in the belt?
the timing belt was done by a mechanic and there is no slop, my assumption is the belt is off by a tooth.

Looking at the harmonic damper(crank pulley) where in relation to the keyway are the timing marks. Both the white TDC mark and the red base timing mark. If the outer ring has migrated/slipped on the inner hub, you will need to purchase a new damper as this is critical to keep engine harmonics at bay.
I'm not getting a clear picture of what you mean, elaborate in further detail

Is your lower belt cover in one piece and properly installed?
The lower cover on the '95 was mangled by a moron and had to be replaced. Even though the pointer was squared to the crank, it was still a good 4° off from the lower cover being warped and cracked.
Yes it isbut I will double check anyway.

Is the aftermarket distributor a rebuild unit? Or does it have a control box and multiple sparks.
The dizzy is aftermarket which was bought from pep boys, In my research to this issue I have read that rebuilt units can cause issues with timing. Actually in my search on this site someone had a timing issue and turns out it was solved by getting an oem unit.

Last edited by kidcool1977; 05-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
MM Gruppe B

The timing gun I assume is what you mean. There is no arrow it is simply connect the negative and positive leads to the battery point and shoot, again I assuming that is what you mean, if not please elaborate.
The inductive pickup is the lead that attaches to the spark plug wire.
Some have a arrow scribed on the pickup to indicate which way it should be attached around the spark plug wire.

the timing belt was done by a mechanic and there is no slop, my assumption is the belt is off by a tooth.
Rotate the engine so the white TDC mark on the damper is lined up with the timing pointer. Then remove the upper timing belt cover. The Cam sprocket should be correctly aligned. It will either be 'UP' or 180° out with the arrow facing down. The camshaft spins at half speed so 'UP' arrow facing up or 180° with the arrow facing down.

I'm not getting a clear picture of what you mean, elaborate in further detail

Note where the two sets of timing marks are. That is the outer ring, note the ring with the three pimples on it, that's the elastomer. At the center is the hub. If that rubber ring has dry rotted it can cause the outer ring to slip and not be correctly lined up with the timing marks. If you had the tools to remove the crankshaft bolt you could observe where the keyway on the crank pulley was in relation to the timing marks.
The dizzy is aftermarket which was bought from pep boys, In my research to this issue I have read that rebuilt units can cause issues with timing. Actually in my search on this site someone had a timing issue and turns out it was solved by getting an oem unit.
I'm not sure how a rebuilt unit would have the incorrect base timing unless the bottom locating ring was installed 180* out, but even then that would show up with the distributor not pointing to #1 TDC.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

The inductive pickup is the lead that attaches to the spark plug wire.
Some have a arrow scribed on the pickup to indicate which way it should be attached around the spark plug wire.

Rotate the engine so the white TDC mark on the damper is lined up with the timing pointer. Then remove the upper timing belt cover. The Cam sprocket should be correctly aligned. It will either be 'UP' or 180° out with the arrow facing down. The camshaft spins at half speed so 'UP' arrow facing up or 180° with the arrow facing down.

Note where the two sets of timing marks are. That is the outer ring, note the ring with the three pimples on it, that's the elastomer. At the center is the hub. If that rubber ring has dry rotted it can cause the outer ring to slip and not be correctly lined up with the timing marks. If you had the tools to remove the crankshaft bolt you could observe where the keyway on the crank pulley was in relation to the timing marks.

I'm not sure how a rebuilt unit would have the incorrect base timing unless the bottom locating ring was installed 180* out, but even then that would show up with the distributor not pointing to #1 TDC.
Thanks for the detailed response.

1. My inductive pick up is blank there are no arrows, I just checked the manual and the only information it provides is that it can be moved back and forth or reverse it to get a better reading.

2. I will be doing the second procedure when time permits.

3. I will also look into this.

4. Before replacing the dizzy and timing belt the car ran perfect, this was why I suspected the dizzy, I am thinking of putting in my old unit in but I have to make it work and to be honest I don't know how to that . I'll do my best to post back with results.