Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 accord stock exhaust problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 accord stock exhaust problems

Hey guys this is my first post. I just purchased a 91 accord LX. it's got 145k miles. I don't know what the previous owners or owner before did but there is not catalytic converter...put in a flex pipe and a bunch of exhaust leaks. First off do I need to replace the cat? Second it needs to be cut right where it curves under the oil pan. Are there names of the certain pipes I can order to get this back to normal without the cat? I see a few different things. Or a whole replacement stock exhaust. Any help is appreciated. I'm new to Honda. Have only had chevy pickups.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 accord stock exhaust problems

Well, first you said there's no cat, then you asked if the cat needs replaced? I am confuse on that one. Where's your exhaust leaking from? Go to cb7tuner, there's DIY thread that would help you.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

engine > exhaust manifold > A pipe w/flex joint (aka, down pipe) > catalytic converter > B pipe w/resonator (aka, mid pipe) > muffler (aka, axle back).

Depending on where the leak is you may of may not be able to replace just that pipe with OEM or off the shelf parts. Other than that you will have to take it to someone who can put a piece together for you.

It's hard to tell when there is no way for us to see how your exhaust has been put together.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Agreed. Get some pics if you can. As for the cat, if your state has any inspections at all, you will need one.

If you don't have any experience with exhaust, it will probably be cheaper/easier to take yours to a muffler shop and tell them to go to town.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna replace the entire thing from the headers back with a stock exhaust. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey_accord
I wanna replace the entire thing from the headers back with a stock exhaust. Can you point me in the right direction?
Well, you can look up pricing at Majestic Honda, but I think you may shart your pantaloons.

Check out Rock Auto, and look up pricing on the Walker brand.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless your state tests for emissions, i wouldnt bother replacing the cat. and if you're gonna replace the whole exhaust, i would go bigger than the stock diameter. you can still get a muffler that makes it sound quiet... it doesnt have to be a loud ricer can on the back.

you could keep the stock LS manifold & downpipe setup, or go with an EX header for cheap. from there you can get a cat, or just a "test pipe" (bolts in where the cat goes for track testing... just a piece of pipe, really). then get a cat-back system, which should have a muffler with it. ebay usually has pretty good deals on cat-backs and other components.

the 91 model has OBD-1 diagnostics, which means that there is only one oxygen sensor on the exhaust system, and it is located before the catalytic converter (called the upstream sensor). since there is no O2 sensor behind the cat, the computer cannot monitor the emissions output post-cat. therefor, the cat can be non-existent, and the car wont know the difference.

in contrast, cars with OBD-2 do have a downstream sensor which monitors emissions post-cat, and will definitely throw an engine code if there is no cat present. OBD-2 was phased in between 94-96, and the year varies from one manufacturer to another.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same situation as you with my accord, my exhaust was rusting to pieces and falling apart. Since you want quiet stock exhaust you can do the same thing as I did.

Everything before that cat you can get on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-ST...sories&vxp=mtr

Then go to a local part store to get a new stock replacement catback. Then just re-use your test pipe, or get a test pipe if your cat is ****. Couldn't really understand if you have a cat or not.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy the pipe and most garages will bend whatever angle u need for a couple bucks. And start welding everything together. Exhaust clamps are junk i think. Get connector pieces that are alittle bigger and slide over both ends and a nice beat around both sidrs and it will never leak....... Also spend the extra money and do stainless piping. Youll thank yourself years from now.......... We need pics thou for anymore help
Old 06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry guys it took so long to get back to you. i appreciate the help. i think i found a stock exhaust for sale im gonna buy. i guess the kid has an aftermarket one on now but it may fall through. im just looking to put the least amount of money in this thing. its just a commuter car and holes in the exhaust are loud.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i was so vague. i DO NOT have a cat. im gonna post a pic of the pipe i have on there now. from the pipe back to the exhaust tip is perfectly fine, so i need to know what parts are from this pipe to the front. ive been looking and am totally confused. i wanna buy them and take them to a garage. also if i decide not to get a cat what pipe would i put there? part numbers or names would help me so much.