Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Troubleshooting a P1361 code...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting a P1361 code...

Hey everyone!

There are other posts on this -- but most of them dealt strictly with replacing the CMP/TDC sensor. Although I'm not opposed to replacing it, I was hoping to get a little help in troubleshooting it to make sure that it's not a wiring issue...

I've gotten CEL codes on two different occasions. The first time, I pulled the battery (expecting the code to return) -- and the car ran fine for about a month. Yesterday, it threw another code (P1361), and after being cleared, the car ran fine.

There's no guarantee that the first code was the same, but the car behaved exactly the same as this time.

I drove it home, and parked it.

I bought a sensor, but I'm leaving it in the bag until I troubleshoot it. Can someone help walk me through the process?

Thanks in advance!!

Best,
Edward
Old 05-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting a P1361 code...

P1361 (CMP Sensor - Intermittent Interruption) & P1362 (CMP Sensor - No Signal)

1. Reset the ECU.

2. Start the engine.

Does P1361 or P1362 come back?

Yes - Go to step 3.

No - Intermittent failure. Check the connections at the CMP sensor and at the ECU.

3. Turn the ignition switch Off.

4. Disconnect the CMP 3-pin connector.

5. Turn the ignition switch On. (II)

6. Measure the voltage between terminal #3 of the CMP sensor connector (yellow/black wire) and a ground.

Is there battery voltage?

Yes - Go to step 7.

No - There is an open in the wire between PGM-FI main relay 1 and the CMP sensor. Find it and repair it.

7. Measure the voltage between terminal #2 of the CMP sensor connector (green wire) and a ground.

Is there about 5 volts?

Yes - Go to step 8.

No - Go to step 10.

8. Measure the voltage between terminals #1 (brown/yellow wire) and #3 (yellow/black wire) of the CMP sensor connector.

Is there battery voltage?

Yes - Go to step 9.

No - There's an open in the wire between the CMP sensor and ground location G101. Find it and repair it.

9. Swap the existing CMP sensor with one that is known-good, then recheck.

Does P1361 and/or P1362 come back?

Yes - Update the ECU software if necessary, or swap the ECU with one that is known-good, then recheck. If the problem goes away while using the alternative ECU - keep it.

No - Replace the original CMP sensor.

10. Measure the voltage between ECU terminal A26 (Green wire) and a ground.

Is there about 5 volts?

Yes - There's an open in the wire between the CMP sensor and ECU terminal A26. Find it and repair it.

No - Go to step 11.

11. Turn the ignition switch Off.

12. Disconnect ECU connector A (31-pin).

13. Check for continuity between ECU terminal A26 (Green wire) and a body ground.

Is there continuity?

Yes - There is a short between A26 and the CMP sensor. Find it and repair it.

No - Update the ECU software if necessary, or swap the ECU with one that is known-good, then recheck. If the problem goes away while using the alternative ECU - keep it.

Now, if you end up trying to do the whole "swap the ECU" route -You'll either need the dealership to reprogram your existing key in order for it to match the replacement ECU, or you'll need the replacement ECU, key(s), ignition switch, and door lock cylinders to all from the same parts car. Lock cylinders being optional, provided you don't mind juggling keys.

Also, there was a TSB for this DTC. It's because the cam has excessive play, triggering the P1361 / P1362 code. Here's a link for the .pdf file. Click Me

Last edited by It Wasn't Me; 11-09-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: images were missing, so I added wire colors to simplify the troubleshooting
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much -- exactly what I was looking for!!!

Thankfully, I don't fall under the VIN range for the TSB, but it's a little disconcerting nonetheless -- and I don't think I have a tool to measure the play in the cam anyway.

Just replaced the ECU (my alternator bracket broke, and I think it somehow grounded/shorted it), so I'm not sure if I'm willing to go that far -- if I hit that step in the tree, I might just have to say f-it and replace the sensor, haha....

I'll keep you posted on how it goes, and thanks again!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just started looking at the solutions tree, and ironically, I'm not going to get anywhere -- because my code is very much intermittent (twice in about 4-6 weeks).

Do I just do my best to inspect the connection, the terminal, and the wiring running from it -- and if I can't find anything, just replace the sensor?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001dxtn
Thankfully, I don't fall under the VIN range for the TSB, but it's a little disconcerting nonetheless --
Don't rely solely on the information specific to that TSB. You might want to call your local Honda dealership and ask them to check their database. Never know.

Example:
They've been doing TSB-recalls for the airbag inflators for years. I only very-recently received a recall letter for the airbag inflator. I assume they limit the number of affected vehicles per recall in order to keep the workload manageable.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I'm pretty sure I feel like a fool. I dug in and replaced the sensor, since I didn't fit in the solutions tree -- I wasn't throwing a light....

I'm almost certain that my car is running the same way as before -- it feels sluggish, and I'll bet I throw a code in the next couple days...

My question is -- should I just act like the light is on -- and follow the prompts from there? I just hope that I can remedy this problem and keep my Civic rolling...