Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Brake Light (Stop Lights) Not Working? Confused??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light (Stop Lights) Not Working? Confused??

Ok, here's my issue. I have a 2004 Honda Civic Si Coupe and both left and right brake lights are not working but the third brake light on the OEM spolier is? I change both rear brake lights with new Sylvania dual filament bulbs but no luck. I changed the brake light switch (even though it seems to be working because the third brake light works) and no luck. I check the fuses and it appears there's only 1 under the hood for the horn/stop lights. Horn works and double checked that fuse anyway and it's good. So now I'm stumped at what could be the issue?? I'm ready to bring it to Honda to figure it out but scared of a crazy XX hour electrical diagnostic bill??

I did recently change the automatic shift lock solenoid about a month ago because the current one seemed to be on the fritz - making random clicking noises. Could itbe related to my issue? All other lights works - just not the brake / stop lights

Any ideas / suggestions???
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Light (Stop Lights) Not Working? Confused??

Your getting brake light signal to the spoiler plug in. This tees off the white/black wire which sends signal to your taillights.I take it your car has the factory black "paint" on the rear glass where the high mount stop lamp would have been. Get a continuity tester and see where the signal stops flowing, both lights ground at ground point G601, which is in the middle of the trunk comparment back wall.