Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

My transmission is slipping, but only when it's cold.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 My transmission is slipping, but only when it's cold.

I have a problem with my automatic transmission on my 2003 Honda Civic. It ******* slips and the car has less than 100 000 kilometers! It only slips when the engine temperature is cold. When the engine is hot, there is no problem at all. Do you have an idea of what it can be? Please, don't tell me that I need to buy a rebuilt tranny from Honda!

J'ai un problème avec la transmission automatique de ma Honda Civic 2003. Elle glisse crisse et le char a moins de 100 000 kilomètres! Elle glisse seulement quand la température du moteur est à froid. Quand le moteur est chaud, il n'y a absolument aucun problème. Est-ce que vous avez une idée de ce que ça peut bien être? Je ne veux pas que vous me disiez que je dois m'acheter une transmission rebuilt de chez Honda car je vais capoter!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My transmission slips seulement when mon engine est cold. Proper translation insi

Try changing external transmission shift selonoids. Does the Civic have proper Honda transmission fluid in it?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My transmission slips seulement when mon engine est cold. Proper translation insi

wifes 02 civic had the transmission go. we bought a used one from an 05 civic. i know the 01 and 02's had issues. not sure about the 03. good luck though.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My transmission is slipping, but only when it's cold.

mine does the same thing only from one to second gear only when its cold, eviee that's a good idea i'm going to get my tranny oil change soon.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm definitely not a transmission expert but I recently had a problem with my 2001 LX and here is what I did to find the problem.

1) If you don't have the service manual buy one from helminc.com - there is a lot of information for automatic transmissions and you will learn a lot
2) There is a section on measuring line pressures and has some troubleshooting information in it. I'm sure the temperature is an issue, but it may be something else that is more related to the solenoids, etc.
3) It will call for special tools - not sure about the 2003 but to measure the line pressure buy a $20 oil pressure gauge kit from harborfreight.com and buy an M8 x 1.25 by 1/8 NPT fitting from poweraire.com (this is most likely the adaptor you will need to go from the gauge 1/8 - 27 npt to the transmission ports).
4) See if your line pressures match what the service manual calls for.

All that will cost you about $100.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eviee1973
Does the Civic have proper Honda transmission fluid in it?
Good question.

Originally Posted by JJ291
I'm definitely not a transmission expert but I recently had a problem with my 2001 LX and here is what I did to find the problem.

1) If you don't have the service manual buy one from helminc.com - there is a lot of information for automatic transmissions and you will learn a lot
2) There is a section on measuring line pressures and has some troubleshooting information in it. I'm sure the temperature is an issue, but it may be something else that is more related to the solenoids, etc.
3) It will call for special tools - not sure about the 2003 but to measure the line pressure buy a $20 oil pressure gauge kit from harborfreight.com and buy an M8 x 1.25 by 1/8 NPT fitting from poweraire.com (this is most likely the adaptor you will need to go from the gauge 1/8 - 27 npt to the transmission ports).
4) See if your line pressures match what the service manual calls for.

All that will cost you about $100.
Terrific first post! Welcome to Honda-tech.com

Ugh, #2 on your list is a major PITA to try explaining to someone. That's where I usually lose people.

@Tenassi: As noted, buy yourself a service manual. Click here. You'll want 61S5C01. (the first one on the list)
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Tenassi. I appreciate that! I agree on #2. Plus, that adapter was like finding a needle in a haystack on the web. Not sure why Honda chose such an obscure bolt for those service ports! In any case, even though my line pressure was pretty good ~132 psi, I keep getting a TC lockup clutch MIL. I pulled the solenoids and they work, cleaned them up, changed fluid, etc.

So, I'm biting the bullet in a major way and pulling the engine and transmission on Thursday. Got a new tranny on the way from Synchrotech. I'm taking them both out the top and I'm totally crapping my pants because I've done some bigger jobs but this will take the cake. Should be a fun weekend...
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you use Honda Transmission fluid and replace it three times after driving the car for some time. Also make sure the vent tube has the cap, mine had disappeared.

My AT has 66K miles and is running strong
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Frequent changes are a good thing. I've been using Amsoil synthetic ATF in my Ody, no problems yet. I rebuild the trans 18 months ago. About 12k miles on it now. Rebuilds on honda autos are pretty easy, they're a glorified manual, constant mesh for all gears with clutch packs to select the right gear. On this trans, how does the fluid look? It should be pinkish, if not, drain it and refill, you might need to do this a few times, the trans holds probably 6-8 quarts, and the drain/fill only replaces 2 quarts or so.