Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how can you tell if your clutch is worn?

Old 01-31-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you tell if your clutch is worn?

i have a 93 civic si... cant chirp second gear at all... but other cars i can... is it jus me or my clutch is worn... the car has 180k miles...
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (wizzards581)

if its the stock clutch then maybe its going. is the engine stock? after 180k the clutch should be replaced. you can tell if its going a few ways. if you ease out the clutch and the car doesnt seem to catch like it should then it should be replaced.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (98civichtchback)

if its the stock clutch then maybe its going. is the engine stock? after 180k the clutch should be replaced. you can tell if its going a few ways. if you ease out the clutch and the car doesnt seem to catch like it should then it should be replaced.
if it grabbed it should chirp... the motor is stock.. we replaced a 92 civic cx with a stock oem clutch and we could chirp 2nd gear.. mayb i should replace it.... is it ok to use 6 puck act on my stock pressure plate?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what, don't use a six puck on a stock d15.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (tominos)

my car chirps second and i have less power than an si hatch.

but then again, my car was driven by a male nurse for 45K miles, lol.

its time for a new clutch. stay away from a 6/4/3 puck racing clutches. check out the ACT heavy duty.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (Spoon Hybrid)

(what's wrong with a 3/4/6 puck racing style clutch? ( i dont own one, nor am i looking for one, just wondering the differences between them all)
Old 01-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (turbomonkeyexpress)

(what's wrong with a 3/4/6 puck racing style clutch? ( i dont own one, nor am i looking for one, just wondering the differences between them all)
usually the clutches with pucks don't have a sprung hub which can shock the drivetrain because it grabs so violently. they are not neccessary unless you have big power numbers or race often.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:12 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (joe_bocc)

I think I remember reading of one test in which you drive up a steep incline, put it in 5th and floor it to see if it slips. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this test.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:11 PM
New User

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (clm)

usually to tell if a clutch is worn is when the clutch engages really high,..like when you put the car in first and ease off the clutch just a tad,..you can feel the car go forward just a little bit,..if you have to ease off the pedal almost all the way this is a sign that the clutch is worn,..when people say slipping,..then mean if you are getting on it and the revs go up but the car is hardly picking up,...i have heard you can smell a clutch slipping

i have a clutch masters stage 3 and it engages high but thats what aftermarket clutches are suppose to do,..and yes mine doesnt have a spring hub,..it does catch violent,..the shock can hurt your syncros because there is no spring to absorb the shock ,...it could chip a tooth on the syncros and what not

and you should not be worried about chirping second,..chirping second just means your not shifting right,..but it sounds cool
Old 02-01-2003, 11:25 AM

stay away from a 6/4/3 puck racing clutches. check out the ACT heavy duty.
ACT Xtreme Duty Rules too. we just put one in my friends Prelude and he can chirp 4th. It grips like a ****.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (WiDeBoDyEK)

i have a clutch masters stage 3 and it engages high but thats what aftermarket clutches are suppose to do
uhmm, are you sure about that? Most aftermarket clutches grab LOWER than the stock clutch. My OEM clutch grabbed at about 50-55% off the floor. my ACT HDSS clutch kit grabs at about 30-40% off the floor, depending on conditions.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (Daniel)

http://www.clutchcityonline.com

If you don't plan on racing the car, get a cheap OEM Exedy kit. If you do, get something from ACT or CM, choose your poison.

I think I remember reading of one test in which you drive up a steep incline, put it in 5th and floor it to see if it slips. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this test
This is how to tell if your clutch is worn. If the tachometer still goes up but your mph doesn't move, your clutch is bad. With my car, 220k miles on a 90 Integra and still on the stock clutch, it slips like a bitch.

[Modified by fOmaNPu, 2:40 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and you should not be worried about chirping second,..chirping second just means your not shifting right,..but it sounds cool
not true. when im racing, i shift into second without letting off the gas, and it chirps second really good. actually, its not even a chirp, the wheels spin. this is a sign of the poor traction my 185/65 bridgestones have, not my lack of driving skill.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rev
drop clutch
if it does NOTHING
or moves realllllly slow
it needs to be replaced
Old 02-01-2003, 12:10 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

usually to tell if a clutch is worn is when the clutch engages really high,..like when you put the car in first and ease off the clutch just a tad,..you can feel the car go forward just a little bit,..if you have to ease off the pedal almost all the way this is a sign that the clutch is worn
No, that's wrong - the engagement point of the clutch has nothing to do with how worn it is. Honda hydraulic-actuated clutches tend to catch fairly high anyway; and with the older cable clutches you can adjust where you want the engagement point.

Different clutches will have slightly varied engagement points, but in general the wear of the clutch will not affect its engagement point.

It doesn't mean that he's not shifting right. A proper fast shift will usually cause a slight tire chirp, especially with street tires. I do agree, however, that there's no point to it, and it's not a good idea to use it as the sole indication of the condition of your clutch . . .
Old 02-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (clm)

I think I remember reading of one test in which you drive up a steep incline, put it in 5th and floor it to see if it slips. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this test.
this is one way. Another way to tes is to put the car in 5th gear, pull the e brake, and let out the clutch like you would driving on the street, except you'll have to rev high, kind of like driving up a hill. If your car dies, the clutch is good, if you can let up on the clutch all the way and keep the engine running, your clutch is bad.

The most obvious signs is a slipping clutch, when you give the car gas and the engine revs but the car goes no faster.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
93EH6

What i was told was to rev it to 5000 and dump the clutch if it jerks you hard it is still ok but if it just jerks a little or not at all it should be replaced

[Modified by autoxdelsol, 11:26 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 08:23 PM
New User

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (Daniel)

i have a clutch masters stage 3 and it engages high but thats what aftermarket clutches are suppose to do

uhmm, are you sure about that? Most aftermarket clutches grab LOWER than the stock clutch. My OEM clutch grabbed at about 50-55% off the floor. my ACT HDSS clutch kit grabs at about 30-40% off the floor, depending on conditions.
maybe this is what clutchmasters are suppose to do then becuase ive had a clutchmaster stage 2 also and it catches high too

and spoon hybrid what your doing is power shifting,...i see no point in power shifting,..it only knocks off a couple tenths of a second off your 1/4 mile time,...but it could hurt your tranny and clutch also,...but im not hating,..if this is how you race then keep with it,..whatever your comfortable with,...and people tend to get a better and sometimes louder chirp when they power shift
Old 02-01-2003, 09:25 PM

I have a Clutchmasters stage 2 and it engages at about 50% my OEM Clutch engaged noticibly lower id say at about 30%.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (SlowSOHC)

it will start to stick and not grab or grab too much. As for what to go with, I talked to a guy at ACT when I was going to get an account with them. I was told that for Stock motor, that Stage 1 was prime choice, but that for street and strip stage 2 would be nice..
Old 02-01-2003, 10:50 PM
New User

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (SlowSOHC)

I have a Clutchmasters stage 2 and it engages at about 50% my OEM Clutch engaged noticibly lower id say at about 30%.
i guess its an ohio thing hehe
Old 02-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hav a 98 coupe and its real tuff to start off in first hav to hold the clutch till i get movin a bit and usually dont shift till 3k rpm, and no chrip goin to second...so sounds like i neeed a clutch too...anyone agree? or is it not supposed to chrip and d16 weak so tuff to start off =[ hope its the clutch

oh yeh cars stock poor tires, i also thot that 2nd gear chrip was due to trannys efficency to transfer power to next gear

[Modified by dash0n, 11:51 AM 2/2/2003]
Old 02-03-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (dash0n)

hey 98civichtchback ever run your car on a 1/4?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell if your clutch is worn? (xpnoythugstaxx)

the best wat to test your clutch to see if its bad is too set the ebrake put it in 3 gear and then go just if you were pulling away from a light. if the car stales then your clutch is still ok if it continues to run wiht the clutch all the way out u need a new clutch. also if you shift hard and the the car engages but the rpms drop thats also another sing