Notices

Resonator placement in exhaust question:

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator placement in exhaust question:

Hey guys, just got my b18a turbo crx running and I'm using a 3" exhaust (downpipe is 2.5 into 3 just after the first bend) that is custom built. Currently there's only 1 straighthrough muffler at the tailpipe end, and it's WAY too loud for my taste. If I add a resonator, it'll be near the end of the exhuast as well, about 6 inches ahead of the muffler. Usually the resonators seem to be about mid-point in the exhuast, so I'm wondering if having it that close to the end and that near the muffler will make any difference, or if it HAS to be in the midpoint for proper sound supression?

Thanks for any advice,

Ryan P.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Resonator placement in exhaust question: (SJP0tato)

I took an acoustical engineering class last semester here at UT, and from that, I can tell you the following:

LONGER mufflers and resonators create a lower resonance, and therefore will give your car a generally "quieter", more mellow and gentle sound.

By differing the muffler and resonator length, you are creating two frequency filters that operate at different frequencies, and each resonance will be cancelled by the other.

To answer your question, your resonator will do some good, but the further you can get it from your muffler, the better. Just remember, you already have a catalytic converter (I'm assuming, if not, get a hi-flow model, as this will make a HUGE difference in the sound quality/volume without drastically hurting performance.), so try and place the resonator between the cat and the muffler. This will yield the best results. Good luck, and feel free to PM me with more questions. I spent weeks researching things before I had my custom exhaust system made, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted!

Nick
Old 03-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Resonator placement in exhaust question: (Nikolai)

6" before the muffler will not work well, you will get a bit more sound supression, as a resonator is basically a straight thru muffler w/ less sound deadening material. But the resonator should be placed much further upstream to work effectively. Overall, the muffler determines your dB output... a crappier muffler = a loud muffler.

What cat are you using ? Stock or 3" ?

A 3" pipe, reduced to a stock cat will increase your noise level, your overall exhaust design (2.5" to 3" to cat to 3" to muffler) really would result in a relavtively loud exhaust. It might sound funny, but you may want to consider a 3" DP if you can get one.

X2