Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

1997 CRV timing belt replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 CRV timing belt replacement...

I have 'searched' a bit and was unable to locate the exact information that I need on the timing belt replacement on a 1997 Honda CRV. I am curious if anyone can point me in the direction of exact part numbers for the genuine Honda T-belt and Water pump for this vehicle? Also, is there a parts department/dealer that sells them the cheapest--read discount---to you folks that I can use to source the parts inexpensively?

Finally, I am curious if someone would be kind enough to share the FSM manual pages for the replacement of the t-belt and water pump?

Thanks!
Curt Shumaker
Old 06-01-2003, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1997 CRV timing belt replacement... (SHUMAX)

Its the exact same as the Non VTEC Integra.

Heres an article about the Integra VTEC motor, but it will be very similar to yours.

Also look into getting a Helm's manual, these things are awsome!

Get everything at Top Dead Center first...cams both pointing staright up.You'll need to remove the Valve cover. You'll need to loosen the Alternator, Power Steering pump, and A/C compressor belts. I would suggest a moroso pulley wrench, cause I couldn't get the CRV pulley off of mine. You'll need to remove the crankshaft pulley (DO NOT LOOSE THE KEY!). The plastic housing over the timing belt. You'll need to remove the driver side engine mount to get to the bottom plastic cover, plus you'll need to remove the mount anyways later on. Then loosen up the tensioner. and take the old one off. It's kinda a pain the first time you do this...especially with the engine in. Just make sure the crankshaft arrows are pointing at each other and the cam gears are pointing at each other...otherwise it might run like crap due to mistiming. Also when you put the belt on, only pull it counterclockwise, if you try to rotate the clockwise, the belt will jump teeth and you'll have to start all over again.

You should be able to buy a timing belt for a 94-01 Integra LS,RS,SE,GS (B18B 1834cc Non VTEC DOHC motor). The VTEC ones may be different lengths due to different deck/head heights....not sure on this one, but I don't want to chance it. Many of my parts from my B18B transferred straight over to my B20B.

As far as the water pump you can buy a water pump for
94-01 Integra (all models)
99-00 Civic SI
97-01 CRV (All models)

There all the same and interchangeable.

Incase you forget the pic shows the way the belt should go on. The way I do it is put the belt on first at 1 then put it over 3 so that 2 is tight with little play, then wrap around 4, and then 5, and then finally around 6 which is the tensionor. Keeping it tight the entire time from 1 to 5 and letting 6 pick up any slack. I believe this is different than in the Helm's. But it's worked for me about half a dozen times. BTW 5 is the water pump.

Hope this helps.

You can see from the pic that if you move crank the engine clockwise it will try to "push" the timing belt against the cam gears....obviously a belt doesn't work in compression very well and it will bunch up and possibly skip teeth up top.