Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wheel well liners.. are they necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel well liners.. are they necessary?

Okay, well im putting on some new rims and what not, and im wondering.. since im missing one wheel well liner, can i just take all 4 out? How many people have their wheel well liners out here? What are the pro's/ cons of them? Thank you!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (GroundZer0)

edit - how many of you all still have your wheel well linings in?

well another reason why im asking this, is because sometimes when i go over bumps, with my stock suspension and winter tires, it seems to rub pretty hard.. but that may be cause the fender is a little messedup too, but im getting that all fixed today. KYB + Ground control going in, new rims, and new fender! =]

Modified by GroundZer0 at 9:21 AM 3/11/2004
Old 03-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

How do i go about "rolling my fenders?" Someone got a link to a tech? Im gonna be running some 17" rims i picked up for cheap.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (GroundZer0)

regret taking them off my EG !!!

i have them on my EK and they are going to stay!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicHBphtride)

my passenger side lining came loose and got tore off, never got another one. similarly, the drivers side lining starting coming off, so i removed it. sucks that all the crap under there gets dirty, but i usually hose it off when i wash my car.
maybe you can figure out a way to remove only a piece of where it rubs on, basically so it'll still do its job of keeping water and crap out of the places it protects.

good luck.

edit: the rear doesnt have any fender lining... or does it?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

see, thats what happened to me as well, i was going through a 3+ foot snow storm, and the roads were plowed really poorly, so it ripped my drivers side lining off.. so i was thinkin about just takin the passengers off..

Also, this is kinda off this topic.. but im putting my suspension on right now Ground Control Coilovers + KYB AGX, are the KYB supposed to go all the way down on the the arm piece? There seems to be a weird "T" shaped piece of metal twords the bottom of the strut that prevents it from fitting all the way in this "arm" piece, on the car?

Modified by GroundZer0 at 9:49 AM 3/11/2004
Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 PM

I've had mine out for awhile. Just gets noisy when rocks hit in there.. and the dirt can be washed away pretty easy. Only problem Ive ever had: Snow buildup in there, turning into ice.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (Syzle)

my corner light shorted out after i took mine out
Old 03-11-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GroundZer0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, this is kinda off this topic.. but im putting my suspension on right now Ground Control Coilovers + KYB AGX, are the KYB supposed to go all the way down on the the arm piece? There seems to be a weird "T" shaped piece of metal twords the bottom of the strut that prevents it from fitting all the way in this "arm" piece, on the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that T-shaped thing denotes the back of the strut.... put that towards the inside of the car and it will slip perfectly into the lower shock fork.........
Old 03-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Team 4R)

i ran without mine during the fall for about a week..when it rained i had all kinds of leaves and mud and **** packed under my fender and up against the front of my door where the hinges were..honda puts them there for a purpose use them or dal with rust everywhere on your car..its your chopice
Old 03-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: (Grip)

I run without mine all year in Colorado. (Snow)

Nothing bad has happened. The inner fenders get a little dirty but that's about it. Nothing short circuits or has short circuited in the past. The rear linings have been known to trap moisture in the wheel well causing rust too.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: (Cheivic)

i havent had them for a year. dirts the only bad thing, and its just washes off. everything else is fine.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't have them on my old EG and I got tons of dirt and shiz in my wheel wells, side skirts and by my corner lights. Basically everywhere. My new EG has them and they keep everything much cleaner, plus I have a cold air intake so they help keep my air filter free of dirt and water. I would recommend leaving them.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ran without mine during the fall for about a week..when it rained i had all kinds of leaves and mud and **** packed under my fender and up against the front of my door where the hinges were..honda puts them there for a purpose use them or dal with rust everywhere on your car..its your chopice </TD></TR></TABLE>

im having the same problems right now.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (StErN)

my right side fell out any one have a price on how much they would be
Old 03-11-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (Rhythm Racer)

too expensive, thats y i havent replaced mine
Old 03-11-2004, 05:27 PM
amy

Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (Sepulcher)

mine got all messed up from the snow...... on the drivers side it would randomly like fall down and rub against my wheel and now its all chewed up looking........... i had to tie wrap it back up but its still on there.......
Old 03-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (Rhythm Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rhythm Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my right side fell out any one have a price on how much they would be</TD></TR></TABLE>

Left one about $40 and the right about $20. However that's with a body shop ordering the parts and doing the work along with a new front bumper (she's in the shop now ). They get body components cheap.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wheel well liners.. are they necessary? (JRI94)

I just finally got my passenger side one from Honda today and put it in. My filter was covered with dirt and sand, so I'm pretty glad I was only missing it or a little bit of time. I wouldn't recomend taking it out fr any reason.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: (Cheivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cheivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run without mine all year in Colorado. (Snow)

Nothing bad has happened. The inner fenders get a little dirty but that's about it. Nothing short circuits or has short circuited in the past. The rear linings have been known to trap moisture in the wheel well causing rust too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I live in Colorado too and I ran without my liners from about September through December and it SUCKED! During the summer, my tires would pick up rocks and sometimes throw them up, denting my fenders from the inside out. Also, it would throw tiny pebbles inside my door hinge and when I would open my door to get out, it those little pebbles would scrape between my sideskirts and my door.

During the winter, I'd have so much snow in there that would turn into ice! Add to that, salt and more pebbles! No way will I ever take out my liners. I'm dumped by the way too. All you need to do is roll your front fenders and push your liners up above the tabs, instead of under. You won't need to use those push-in tabs either.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:12 PM
ng

How do you roll your fenders? I'm not even familiar with that.