Notices

Prepping Plastic Bumper Covers for Paint....Help!

Old 06-10-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prepping Plastic Bumper Covers for Paint....Help!

Just wondering if you guys knew what was necessary to prep the plastic bumper covers for paint. what materials do I need and procedures for painting. The fenders, roof, and doors are very straight forward but I have no idea on how to prep the bumper covers.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prepping Plastic Bumper Covers for Paint....Help! (mamaboy)

step one.
Clean Bumper with a type of PREWASH (a very light thinner that will not cut thru the paint but good enough to remove all grease dirt etc.) if u dont have a PREWASH solvent use rubbing alcohol.

step two.
Using a orbital sander use a 240 grit sandpaper and start sanding. (remember 240 is a pretty strong grit use this only if u want to remove the paint on the bumper)

SIDE STEP.
If u were planning on fixing the bumper because of a small damage that leaves a mark use 80 grit but make shure u cover the surrounding area aswell this way the entire area is balanced out and not weavy afterwards but dont sand the entire bumper down with 80 grit.

(after doing this and the mark still remains use polyurathane liquid filler and fill it in and then sand down again. If its a really small hole or scratch fill it in wit PUTTY)

SIDE STEP.
If ur planning on fixing an imprint that has left NO mark all u have to do is get a heater gun and from the front of the bumper heat the imprinted area and surrounding and then use a baseball or even a type of roller and from the back side of it push out the imprinted area and eventually it will. NO SANDING IS REQUIRED unless u want to refinish in that event continue the other step.

step three.
Use 400 grit to finish the bumper preping portionso all the roughness from the 240 grit smoothes down. Make shure u get all the edges etc properly.

step four.
Prime the bumper with primer make shure u get all the damaged areas well because if there are still light sratches remaining the primer will fill it.

step five
after the primer is dry use 400 grit paper to sand down the bumper (not too much just to give it a smooth touch)

step six
time to WATER SAND use 600 grit WET sand paper and soak it in water and then start sanding the bumper completely but only a thin layer

step seven
wash the bumper wit water and then use PREWASH or rubbing alcohol and then clean the bumper off.

step eight
if ur at step six and u notice there still is some tiny holes or scratches still appearing then fill it with putty filler. and then re sand.

step nine
Ur ready to paint the bumper this i wont tell u how to do cuz i dont want u to screw it up so u can take it pretty much to any shop and let them paint it this way all they have to do is paint it and no charge applies for all the labour that would normally appear.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 PM

there is also something called BULLDOG that you spray on after its all clean before you primer. this is a type of adhesive for the paint to stick to. it really sticks to the plastic and the paint sticks to it. i used to work at a body shop and that is some good stuff. we used it on door handles, mouldings and plastic bumpers...hope that helps
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard of people using that new Fusion rattle can paint from Krylon works wonders. No prep needed (well, except for a cleaning of all gunk and stuff). Apparently it bonds to plastic without any prior primers/adhesive promotors.