Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power.

Hello All, my Honda Accord 91 suddenly lost all the electrical power. I won't be able to start up the engine. Totally black out and not even a bit of electrical at all. I had a new battery replaced about early January. When it happened, I checked all the cable connections to the battery and they seemed to be OK.

However, if I jumped boot the car, the power seemed to restore but the [S] green light kept flashing and then engine seemed to have problem moving when shifted to the drive mode. Until I shutdown the engine and restarted it again. Everything seemed to back to normal again.

Questions are:

1) What was sucking all the power suddenly?

2) Is this related to somekind of computer chip screwing up?

3) I notice the cooling fan was started up by itself sometime after I shutdown the engine. Is this normal and that's why it lost all the power?

4) Is this something i can check and fix it by myself?"

This car has been giving me a lot of trouble so far. I am getting fed up with it.

Please help. Thanks.

David.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power. (davidyuz)

I would sujest checking the battery, the battery could have grounded itself. either on the frame or the hood. happend to my brothers 86 toyota carolla. he swapped a new engine to it and the battery is to big so it bounced up and hit the hood making it ground itself. check the battery wires first
Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power. (Old School Accy)

could be battery like i posted before

i dont think it could be but if the chip fried(highly doughtfull) it might not start

3) I notice the cooling fan was started up by itself sometime after I shutdown the engine. Is this normal and that's why it lost all the power?

Cooling fan starting up after the engine is pretty normal for most cars with electric fans. couldnt have caused to power loss

if its the battery you could repace your battery with a smaller one and make sure it wont move. other than that i really have no clue

sorry if it doesent help you
Old 08-02-2004, 12:34 AM

-did check the alternator ? test your alternator out and see if thats the problem.

-NO

-cooling fan starting up itself after the car shuts off is normal, but i had a problem with the cooling fan when i bought my old legend and the cooling fan just kept running and wouldnt stop and it drained my whole battery by the next day. so maybe the cooling fan can be checked out.

-i say take it to a CERTIFIED MECHANIC because dealing with wires/wiring if tough.

hope this helps bro.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power. (BuRRR)

Thanks for everyone responded promptly. Really appreciated. I am taking this car to the auto shop tomorrow morning for a check up. This is going to cost me a fortune for this old car.

David.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:39 PM

first things first is to check the battery with a (volt) meter.. ...

it should read 12.6 volts with the car off.. it should read 13.5 or higher when
the car is running... if the battery is not providing 12.6 V with the engine off
then it will need to be replaced... if you need to replace the seconf battery in 8 months
then it's very likely your alternator is not charging very well.... when the alternator
is working the car should have 13.5 -14.1 volts (measured across the leads on the
battery) with the car running...

you can buy a volt meter for $20 at sears or radio shack..

good luck...

Mark Williams
Dalllas, TX

Old 08-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: My Honda Accord suddenly lost all the electrical power. (williamsmh)

Did you get this fixed? I'm having the same problem!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem. it turned out that the negative wasn't getting enough contact i had to loosen it up and make sure it reaches the base of the battery terminal. while i was at it i took baking soda and water and cleaned it off you should give it a shot. recharge battery and you SHOULD be set to go.

last week we had a customer pull in and we tried that it didn't work because the battery was completely robbed we suggested him go buy a new battery he came back and it was fine. just had to make sure the fitting are snug and tight.

oh yea and on both cases we had full power... we could turn on headlights play music whatever. but once we turned the key it would turn and die then our alarms when crazy and our lights wouldnt go on any more. recharge battery and make sure connection is secure.